You need a licence to sell pet animals, both through a pet shop or over the Internet.
You must not be disqualified from keeping a pet shop.
You must also ensure that:
- Animals will be kept in suitable accommodation (temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness)
- Adequate food and drink will be provided to the animals and they will be visited at suitable intervals.
- Any mammalian animals will not be sold too young
- Steps are taken to prevent the spread of diseases
- Adequate fire and emergency provisions are in place.
Conditions are attached to licences to ensure compliance with the above.