Abandoned Car - Burnt out

Abandoned vehicles

We have a duty to investigate, remove and dispose of any motor vehicle that has been abandoned on "land, which is open to the air".

We consider a vehicle to be abandoned when it meets some or all of the following:

  • It appears to be damaged or un-roadworthy;
  • It isn't showing a valid tax disc;
  • It has not moved for a long time;
  • It has flat tyres or missing wheels;
  • There is waste inside or outside the vehicle;
  • It is missing one or both of its registration plates;
  • The owner or keeper cannot be traced, or does not respond to a legal notice.

If you suspect a vehicle has been abandoned you can report it to us by using the online form or by telephone on 01228 817200

It would help if you could tell us

  • Your name, address and a contact telephone number
  • The vehicle registration number
  • The make, model and colour of the vehicle
  • Where it has been abandoned

Electronic forms

Electronic forms can be completed and submitted online, with no paper involved, which is not only our preferred method; it's kinder to the environment as well.

Cumbria County CouncilGov.UK
Allerdale Borough Council logoEden District Council logo

Contact us

 01228 817000

Carlisle City Council
Civic Centre, Carlisle, Cumbria,