The winners of the 2016 Carlisle Sports Awards have been announced.
The Carlisle Sports Awards was held on Saturday, 15 October at The Shepherd’s Inn. The sporting event celebrated the outstanding talent, commitment and success of Carlisle sportspeople. The event was organised by Carlisle City Council and Carlisle Sports Council.
As part of the event, a new and special award was presented to three local sports clubs. As a result of the drastic floods of December 2015 many of the sports facilities in the city were devastated. The activities in many sports stopped and sportspeople had to search everywhere for facilities.
The Community Award was awarded to recognise the tremendous achievement of three of our local affiliated clubs who have worked tirelessly with dedication and commitment to get their facilities back up and running. The following clubs received the award: Carlisle Cricket Club; Carlisle Squash Club and Chatsworth Tennis Club.
The other Carlisle Sports Awards winners were:
- JUNIOR PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR – Exceptional Rising Star – sponsored by Cumbrian SPAAF
Awarded to the person under 18 demonstrating the highest achievement within their chosen sport.
Winner: Joe Connelly - Athletics & Rugby
- RISING STAR (three awards) – sponsored by Carlisle City Council
Awarded to three talented young athletes who have demonstrated their potential through achievements during the last year.
Winners: Ben Davidson (Cricket); Matthew James (Hammer Throw) and Beau Studholme (Athletics & Football)
- JUNIOR TEAM OF THE YEAR - Best Team Achievement – sponsored by Cumberland Building Society
Awarded to the junior team demonstrating the highest sporting achievement within their chosen sport.
Winner: Carlisle Dance Academy Juvenile Team
- TEAM OF THE YEAR - Best Team Achievement – sponsored by Carlisle City Council
Awarded to the team demonstrating the highest sporting achievement within their chosen sport.
Winner: Carlisle Trampoline Club
- DISABILITY PERFORMANCE OF THE YEAR - Excelled beyond barriers – sponsored by Carlisle Angling Association
Awarded to a person with a disability demonstrating the highest achievement within their sport
Winner: Ray McBride (Cumbria Wheelchair Sports Club)
- COACH OF THE YEAR - Delivering Exceptional impact – sponsored by Carlisle Squash Club
Awarded to the coach that can demonstrate significant impact upon participants at any level during the last year.
Winner: John Birkett (Athletics)
- VOLUNTEER OF THE YEAR - Greatest Volunteer Contribution – sponsored by Carlisle Sports Council
Awarded to the volunteer that can demonstrate significant impact to a club, sporting organisation during the last year.
Winner: Geoffrey Osborne (Cricket)
- YOUNG LEADER OF THE YEAR - Extra Talented Leadership – sponsored by NORTECH Communications
Awarded to the young person who can demonstrate outstanding leadership qualities within sport during the last year.
Winner: Amber Surtees (Trampolining)
- SERVICE TO SPORT - Extra Dedicated Service – (three awards) - sponsored by Active Cumbria
Awarded to the persons demonstrating outstanding commitment and dedication to sport over a long period of time, be it as a participant, coach, volunteer or official.
Winners: Graeme Mark (Rowing); Brian Laidlow (Cricket) and David Altham (Angling)
- SPECIAL AWARD - Extra Special Achievement – sponsored by Riverside
Awarded at the discretion of the Judging Panel to an outstanding achievement or nomination not receiving an award in another category.
Winner: Mike Rayson (Cricket)
- PERFORMANCE OF THE YEAR - Best Individual Performance – sponsored by Greenwich Leisure Limited
Awarded to the individual or team that has achieved the most outstanding performance during the last year.
Winner: CWSC Panthers Wheelchair Basketball Team 1
- SPORTS PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR - Finest Individual Achievement – sponsored by Cumbrian Newspapers
Awarded to the person demonstrating the highest achievement within their chosen sport.
Winner: Lauren Smith (Badminton)