High hedges

On 1 June 2005 the Government enacted part 8 of the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003. This gave Local Authorities the powers to deal with complaints relating to high hedges. Provided you have tried and exhausted all other avenues for resolving your dispute, you will be able to take your complaint to your Local Authority.

The role of the Authority is not to mediate or negotiate between the complainant and the hedge owner, but to adjudicate on whether - in the words of the Act - the hedge is adversely affecting the complainant's reasonable enjoyment of their property.

Please see the documents below for advice on resolving your high hedge dispute and complaining to the Council. As well as information on how the Council will decide your complaint.

Downloadable Documents

All documents open in a new window.

File name


Approximate Download time

Adobe PDF format - download the viewerHigh Hedge Guidance Notes in PDF format71 Kb10 secs @ 56k, 0 secs @ 2mb
Adobe PDF format - download the viewerHigh Hedge Complaint Form in PDF format618 Kb1 min 28 secs @ 56k, 3 secs @ 2mb

Get Adobe Acrobat ReaderDownload Acrobat PDF Reader (external website). Acrobat PDF Reader allows you to view PDF files.

Cumbria County CouncilGov.UK
Allerdale Borough Council logoEden District Council logo

Contact us

 01228 817000

Carlisle City Council
Civic Centre, Carlisle, Cumbria,