To support businesses through the enhanced national England-wide restrictions to help reduce the spread of Coronavirus, the government announced a Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG) for Local Authorities to distribute to local businesses.
The Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG) will be paid out for every period that Carlisle is under national or local Tier 3 and Tier 4 restrictions.
Following the Government’s announcement that Cumbria would be returning to Tier 4 and subsequently National Lockdown, the Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG) has been reactivated in line with Government guidance.
We are fast tracking another ARG payment to all previous successful applicants, without the need for them to re-apply.
All new applicants for the Additional Restrictions Grant will be required to complete the full application form (see below).
All new applications require the applicant to submit the required evidence e.g. Confirmation of bank details in the form of a copy of the bank statement header. This is necessary in order for us to assess their eligibility.
PLEASE NOTE: This grant is not for businesses mandated to close which are liable for business rates in Carlisle, such businesses should apply for the Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed) via this link.
This grant is aimed at the following kind of businesses:
- Businesses that will not be able to operate during this period of national restrictions, however, are not within the business rates system and are therefore ineligible for the Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed) this includes:
- B&Bs subject to Council Tax not Business Rates.
- Market Traders where their regular market(s) have been cancelled by organisers.
- Care services e.g. hairdressers, beauty therapists, physiotherapists, who either operate mobile, at home, or in a shared space which is legally required to close, where these businesses are not the direct business ratepayer.
- Businesses that supply the hospitality and leisure sector.
- Businesses based in the events sector, which will be severely impacted by current restrictions.
- Any other business not covered by the above which is able to demonstrate that they have been severely impacted by the latest round of restrictions only. As these businesses are undefined, further evidence may be requested where it is not easily evident to the assessor that they meet these criteria.
This scheme is for local businesses, therefore, to be eligible, businesses must be predominantly based in Carlisle, with the majority of their business or headquarters in Carlisle.
The following businesses are excluded:
- Companies that are in administration, are insolvent or where a striking-off notice has been made.
- Business that were not trading as of 30 December 2020.
- Food shops, supermarkets, and off-licences.
- Petrol Stations, car repair and MOT services.
- Banks, building societies, post offices, loan providers and money transfer businesses.
- Medical services such as dentists, opticians and pharmacies.
- Professional services - such as solicitors, accountants and business consultancy services.
- Property related businesses, which include:
- buy to let businesses.
- property refurbishment projects.
- residential/commercial landlord businesses.
Please read our policy document in full before applying.
To apply for the fund, please complete the online application form available on this webpage.
Following this, you should get an automated response from [email protected] asking you to submit required evidence. To validate your application, we require something that validates your bank details supplied on your form, this could be a copy of a bank statement, showing the account name, number and sort code.
We may require further evidence from you to help assess your application, in this case your co-operation will help us process your application as quickly as possible.
For business with rateable premises (who are the ratepayer):
- Businesses occupying hereditaments appearing on the local rating list with a rateable value of exactly £15,000 or under on 5 November will receive a payment of up to £1,344.
- Businesses occupying hereditaments appearing on the local rating list with a rateable value over £15,000 and less than £51,000 on 5 November will receive a payment of up to £2,000.
- Businesses occupying hereditaments appearing on the local rating list with a rateable value of exactly £51,000 or above on 5 November, will receive up to £3,000.
For businesses without rateable premises:
the number of employees will be used to calculate the level of grant awarded as below:
Number of employees
Up to £934
Up to £1334
Up to £2,000
Up to £3,000