You are Here : Residents  >  Benefits and support  >  Benefits FAQ
Thursday , April , 26 2018

Frequently Asked Questions

Find out more benefits support answers with our FAQ page

  FAQ Search Bar

How do we calculate how much Council Tax Reduction you will receive?

How your Benefit / Reduction is worked out

If you get Income Support, Income-based Jobseekers Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance Income-Related or Pension Credit (Guaranteed Credit), you will get Housing Benefit to cover all of your rent less any rent restrictions and non dependant deductions. You will get maximum Council Tax Reduction Scheme less any non dependant deductions if you are liable for Council Tax.

If you are on a low income we will calculate a weekly income from all the income you tell us you have. If you have any savings over £6,000 we will assume you also have an income from your savings. We will compare this income to the amount the government says you and your family need to live on - your 'applicable amount'. This amount will be higher for some people e.g. if you are disabled or a one parent family.

If your weekly income is less than, or the same as your 'Applicable Amount', you will get the full amount of Housing Benefit. If this happens you should claim Income Support, or if you have reached the qualifying age State Pension Credit, as you may get more help.

If your weekly income is more than your Applicable Amount the income over your Applicable Amount is called 'Excess Income' . You will be paid Housing Benefit equal to the weekly 'Eligible Rent' less 65% of the weekly Excess Income figure and less any non dependant deductions.

Eligible Rent is the amount of rent that you are charged after any Rent Restriction and deduction for Ineligible Services has been applied to it.

In respect of Council Tax Reduction the amount will be your weekly Council Tax less 20% of the weekly Excess Income figure less any non-dependant deductions.

How much Benefit / Reduction will we pay?

Rent: The most we will pay is 100% of the eligible rent. Your eligible rent is the amount that is considered fair for your property and circumstances. We do not pay for personal service charges, such as water rates, fuel, gardening charges and meals you are provided with, but communal lighting, heating etc are eligible.

Council Tax: The most we will pay is 100% of your eligible Council Tax, this means your Council Tax less any discounts you are getting.

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically