You are Here : Residents  >  Benefits and support  >  Housing Benefit  >  Appeals
Sunday , April , 02 2023
| Language and Accessibility

How to appeal against our decision

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction Scheme are there to help you pay your Rent and/or Council Tax. We want to be sure that you are getting all the Benefit you are entitled to. 

The appeals procedure for Council Tax Reduction is different from that outlined on this page. For more details please see Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

You may have extra information that we did not take into account when we worked out your Benefit or we may have made a mistake. We want to know and make sure your Benefit is correct.

How is Benefit worked out?

The rules are complicated and cannot be explained here but you are entitled to a detailed explanation, in writing, of how we worked out your Benefit. This is called a "written statement of reasons" and must be requested within one month of the date on the decision letter.

Even if you do not qualify for any Benefit, you can still ask for a detailed explanation of why not.

In Brief

  • You can ask for a written statement of how any Benefit decision affecting you was made.
  • If you are unhappy with any Benefit decision affecting you, you have the right to ask for it to be looked at again.
  • If you think it is wrong, you have the right to be heard by an independent tribunal.

Appeal Form

More information and our appeal form which you need to complete is available in our guide Council Tax Benefit and CTRS Appeals Downloadable Document.

Who To Appeal To

All correspondence should be sent to:

Benefits Manager
Carlisle City Council
Civic Centre

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically