You are Here : Residents  >  Benefits and support  >  Apply For It
Friday , December , 08 2023
| Language and Accessibility

Apply for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction

New claim

If you need help paying your rent or Council Tax you can apply for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction by completing our online form.

Carlisle City Council can no longer accept claims for Housing Benefit from working age Claimants, unless they live in certain types of specified/supported or temporary accommodation.

If you need help to pay your Housing Costs you must make a claim for Universal Credit online @ apply to . If you have any questions about claiming Universal Credit, then please contact the Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 5644. Click here to check your Universal Credit Eligibility

Please note that you will still need to apply for Council Tax Reduction separately if you have claimed Universal Credit. This can be claimed by clicking on the green banner below.

The claim form is for new claims only. Please only use this if you are NOT receiving Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction already.

This Table shows a list of evidence that may be required to process your new claim or deal with your change in circumstances including links to more information:
The evidence we may need: Description:
Identification List

The identification we require for someone claiming for the first time

Verification of Rent

To be completed by your landlord/agent if your original tenancy is unavailable or has expired

Earnings Certificate

To be completed by the employer where original payslips are not available. Please note that we cannot accept handwritten payslips

Statement of Estimated Earnings

To be completed where someone has recently started work and has not yet received any payslips

Self Employed Earnings Declaration

To be completed where a person is self-employed and audited accounts are unavailable

Self Employed Earnings Estimate

To be completed where someone has recently started self-employed work

Child Care Costs

If you pay for childcare from a registered provider you may be able to get more help towards your rent and/or Council Tax. The form is to be completed by the childcare provider

Already in receipt of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction?

If you already receive Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction and would like to tell us about a change in your circumstances please click on the below link and provide further details. Please note that supporting evidence may need to be provided:

 Contact Details

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically