The Council Tax Reduction scheme replaces the previous Council Tax Benefit scheme.
Who can apply for Council Tax Reduction?
To apply for Council Tax Reduction you must be a person whose name is on the Council Tax bill.
You may qualify if you are:
- On Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit
- On Pension Credit, Guaranteed Credit and in some cases Savings Credit
- Working and on low pay (including people who are self employed)
- On a low income. For example, you might only get a retirement pension or be getting social security benefits, like Incapacity Benefit.
How much can I get?
Depending on the household income and savings:
- Pensioner households and households with children under 5 years of age may be able to get a reduction of up to 100% of their bill
- Working age household with no children under 5 may be able to get a reduction of up to 100% of their bill.
- Use our handy online Benefits Calculator
How to apply
You must apply directly to us.
You need to tell us straight away if you are receiving a Council Tax Reduction and you have a change in circumstances.