Saturday , March , 17 2018

Council Tax Reduction

The Council Tax Reduction scheme replaces the previous Council Tax Benefit scheme.

Who can apply for Council Tax Reduction?

To apply for Council Tax Reduction you must be a person whose name is on the Council Tax bill.

You may qualify if you are:

  • On Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit
  • On Pension Credit, Guaranteed Credit and in some cases Savings Credit
  • Working and on low pay (including people who are self employed)
  • On a low income. For example, you might only get a retirement pension or be getting social security benefits, like Incapacity Benefit.

How much can I get?

Depending on the household income and savings:

  • Pensioner households and households with children under 5 years of age may be able to get a reduction of up to 100% of their bill
  • Working age household with no children under 5 may be able to get a reduction of up to 100% of their bill.
  • Use our handy online Benefits Calculator

How to apply

You must apply directly to us. You can only get Council Tax Reduction from the date we receive your application

You need to tell us straight away if you are receiving a Council Tax Reduction and you have a change in circumstances.

We are unable to offer backdated support, entitlement to Council Tax Reduction will only begin from the day we actually receive a valid claim.

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically