Council Tax discounts
Council Tax Discounts apply in various situations. You may use our online forms to apply.
The full Council Tax bill assumes that there are two adults living in a home. If only one adult lives in a property (as their main home) the bill will be reduced by 25%.
If a dwelling is unoccupied and unfurnished, the bill may be reduced by 50% for up to six months, then by 25% until it has been empty two years, after which 200% will be chargeable.
If a dwelling is unoccupied but furnished e.g. a second home, the bill will be reduced by 10%. This applies up to 31 March 2020 but is no longer available from 01 April 2020.
Certain people are not counted when looking at the number of adult residents in a dwelling if they meet certain conditions.
Change in Circumstances
If your bill shows that we have given you a discount, you must tell us straight away about any change in your circumstances that could affect your discount by contacting Customer Services, contact details are above right. If you do not tell us you could be liable to pay a penalty of £70. If you continue to fail to provide the correct information you may be liable to pay a further penalty of £280.
Who may be entitled to a discount?
- A single person, living alone in a property
- Full time students, non-British spouses / dependants of students and student nurses
- Apprentices and Youth Training trainees
- Patients resident in hospital
- People who are being looked after in care homes
- People who have a severe mental impairment
- People staying in certain hostels or night shelters
- 18 and 19 year olds who are at or have just left school
- Care workers working for low pay, usually for charities
- People caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18
- Members of visiting overseas forces and certain international institutions
- Members of religious communities (monks and nuns)
- People in prison (except those in prison for non-payment of Council Tax or a fine)
- Diplomats and members of international organisations who's headquarters are in the UK.
|Dwelling Requiring Major Structural Work
||Class D 75% discount for up to 12 months
|Short term vacant properties - unoccupied and unfurnished
||Class C 50% discount for up to six months
|Medium term vacant properties - empty for between 7 and 24 months
|Unoccupied but furnished properties
||10% discount indefinitely (up to 31.03.2020)
|Long term vacant properties - more than two years vacant
||200% Council Tax chargeable