Monday , April , 23 2018

Homelessness Advice and Information

If you think you are at risk of losing your home or are homeless , please contact us at the earliest opportunity.  We operate a drop in service Monday to Friday from 10am-12pm / 1pm-3.30pm.

OUT OF HOURS: If you are experiencing homelessness and require emergency advice outside of office hours please ring 01228 817386 for assistance.

If you are aware of someone who is rough sleeping please contact us immediately.

PLEASE NOTE: John Street men's accommodation is temporarily closed pending reinstatement as a result of flood damage in December 2015; we anticipate that the scheme will reopen in January 2018.  We continue to provide temporary accommodation for single males who are statutorily homeless within the City.

Service Telephone
Housing and Homelessness advice (during office hours only) 01228 817079
Emergency homelessness advice (out of hours) 01228 817386

Other useful contacts

Benefit Advice   01228 817400
Cumbria Law Centre   01228 515129
Citizens Advice Bureau (Advice Line)   03444 111444
Citizens Advice Bureau (Admin Line)   03300 563037
Shelter, Kendal   0844 5151945
Shelterline   0808 8004444


  Further Information on Homelessness - FAQ

Harassment and illegal eviction

It is illegal for your landlord to make you leave your premises by putting pressure on you, or by locking you out. If your landlord does this to you, then contact Carlisle City Council’s Housing Services on 01228 817000, the Cumbria Law Centre on 01228 515129 or the Citizens Advice Bureau on 01228 633900 immediately. If it is the evening or weekend and none of these are available, contact a solicitor or telephone the police.

Quick court action by a solicitor can get you back into your accommodation and stop the landlord from harassing you.

Harassment can take many forms, ranging from threats or acts of violence, to more subtle means by telephone calls or visits late at night, or building works started but not finished.

The Council can, and does prosecute landlords for harassment, and/or unlawful eviction, but cannot get you back into the accommodation.

Some useful leaflets

Available from the Customer Contact Centre, Civic Centre.

  • Resolve Mediation Services
  • Pension Credit
  • Renting & Letting – Rights for Landlords and Tenants
  • Notice the you must leave – a brief guide for landlords and tenants
  • Assured & Assured Shorthold Tenancies – a guide for tenants
  • Do you rent, or are you thinking of renting from a private landlord?
  • "My landlord wants me out" – protection against harassment and illegal eviction
  • Letting rooms in your home – a guide for landlords and their tenants
  • Repairs – a guide for landlords and tenants
  • Disabled facilities grants

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically