Budget: What we spend and how we spend it
The budget includes the allocation of financial resources to different services and projects, proposed contingency funds, the Council tax base, setting the Council tax and decisions relating to the Council’s borrowing requirement, the control of its capital expenditure and the setting of virement limits.
The Council needs to make savings of £3,475,000 by 2018/19.
Why do we have to reduce our budget?
Proposals are in place to achieve the balance of savings required by 2018/19 and no further transformational savings are to be added as part of this year’s budget process
We have successfully achieved/identified £7m in transformational savings since 2010/11 and now have a solid financial base in order to set our 2018/19 budget.
How are we going to save money?
We are committed to protecting front-line services, such as waste and street cleaning, and especially to our most vulnerable residents, but we have to take some tough decisions about our services and future spending.
We are determined to protect important services by doing things differently, such as:
- Working in partnership with other councils or organisations;
- Buying in services (where it makes good financial sense);
- Looking at transferring services to alternative providers and to community groups, if appropriate;
- Focusing on raising more income from our own assets; and
- Making our services even more efficient.
We welcome your views and suggestions as to how we can meet these financial challenges.
How can I have my say?
Let us know what you think of the proposals set out in the budget. This is set out in two documents available below:
- A summary of the Executive’s Budget proposals
- The complete version the Executive’s Budget proposals
You can contact us in the following ways, noting that the consultation for 2018/19 will end on 15th January 2018.
By post to: The Chief Executive, Civic Centre, Carlisle, CA3 8QG or by email to [email protected] by 9am on 15th January 2018.
Additional Budget Reports
Executive 20 November 2017
These documents are available by following the link to the Executive meeting on 20 November, (2018-19 Budget Reports).
- CS33/17 Review of Charges 2018/19 Community Services
- ED38/17 Economic Development Charges Review 2018/19
- GD66/17 Charges Review Report 2018/19 Governance and Regulatory Services
- GD68/17 Review of Charges 2017/18 Licensing
Executive 18 December 2017
These documents are available by following the link to the Executive meeting on 18 December.
- RD35/17 Budget Update Revenue Estimates 2018/19 to 2022/23
- RD36/17 Revised Capital Programme 2017/18 and Provisional Capital Programme 2018/19 to 2022/23
- RD37/17 Treasury Management Strategy Statement, Investment Strategy & Minimum Revenue Provision Strategy 2018/19