Saturday , January , 20 2018

Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find the information you want in our service pages, you may be able to find it on this main FAQ page.
After looking at the statistics of how users browse our site we have now focused on the most used services as priority, many hundreds of information pages on our site that were accessed rarely or sometimes not at all have now been removed to de-clutter and make our site easier to use.

However we still accept that some information is desirable to help our users better understand aspects of how Carlisle City Council services work, so we provide FAQ lists on most our section landing pages.
All FAQs including any FAQ that does not fit in any of our our site sections are accessible here in the master FAQ page.

Master FAQ ( select a category or search for answers )

Animal Boarding Establishments

An animal boarding establishment is a business that provides accommodation for other people’s dogs or cats. An animal boarding establishment licence needs to be renewed every year.

You still need to apply for a licence even if you’re only looking after a small number of animals in your own home.

The number of dogs and cats that can be accommodated, along with any other conditions, will be specified on the licence.


The council may inspect your premises before giving you a licence, and any time after your licence is granted.

You’ll need show that the animals you look after are:

  • kept in suitable accommodation
  • provided with adequate food, drink and bedding
  • regularly exercised
  • safeguarded in an emergency
  • protected from infectious disease – this includes providing isolation facilities

See the documents below for more specific information.

Record keeping

You need to keep a register available for inspection by a vet or other council-approved officer, containing:

  • a description of all the animals you’ve kept
  • their arrival and departure dates
  • the name and address of their owners


At the time of application, you will not be given a licence if you:

  • are disqualified from keeping an animal boarding establishment
  • are disqualified from keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
  • have been convicted of any other animal welfare offences.

Fines and penalties

You can be fined up to £500 or imprisoned for up to 3 months, or both, if you run an animal boarding establishment without a licence, or don’t follow the conditions of your licence.

 Your licence can be taken away if you stop or delay an inspection, and you could be banned from running an animal boarding establishment.

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically