Liquor & Entertainment

The Licensing Act 2003 applies to

  • pubs and nightclubs
  • indoor sporting events
  • off-licences
  • restaurants that serve alcohol
  • businesses offering hot food between 11pm and 5am
  • hotels, guest houses and other places that sell alcohol
  • private members clubs and social clubs
  • theatres and amateur dramatic groups
  • cinemas
  • organisers of occasional entertainments
The new "premises licence" replaces the six old individual licences (for alcohol, public entertainment, cinemas, theatres, late night refreshment houses and night cafés) which makes the licensing process easier.
A personal licence will be needed by anyone who wants to allow the sale of alcohol as part of his or her business.
The council, not the court, will deal with both premises and personal licences. Magistrates' courts will hear any appeals.

Licensees, the council and other agencies must all work to promote the licensing objectives which are:

  • Prevention of Crime and Disorder
  • Public Safety
  • Prevention of Public Nuisance
  • Protection of Children from Harm

Downloadable Documents

All documents open in a new window.

File name


Approximate Download time

Adobe PDF format - download the viewerLicensing policy in PDF format18311 Kb43 mins 36 secs @ 56k, 1 min 15 secs @ 2mb
Microsoft Excel formatPremises Application in Excel format46 Kb7 secs @ 56k, 0 secs @ 2mb
Adobe PDF format - download the viewerConsultation Response Form in PDF format69 Kb10 secs @ 56k, 0 secs @ 2mb
Adobe PDF format - download the viewerDraft Statement of Licensing Policy Jan 2015 in PDF format1480 Kb3 mins 31 secs @ 56k, 6 secs @ 2mb

Get Adobe Acrobat ReaderDownload Acrobat PDF Reader (external website). Acrobat PDF Reader allows you to view PDF files.

Cumbria County CouncilGov.UK
Allerdale Borough Council logoEden District Council logo

Contact us

 01228 817000

Carlisle City Council
Civic Centre, Carlisle, Cumbria,