You are Here : Business  >  Licences and Permits  >  Other Licences  >  Street Trading
Saturday , June , 24 2017

Street Trading

Street Trading means the selling or offering for sale any articles (including a living thing) in a street or from a stationary van, cart, barrow or other vehicle.

In the majority of cases, street trading consent is required before goods can be sold on any street within the jurisdiction of Carlisle City Council. Streets may be classified as 'Prohibited' or 'Consent'. A Prohibited street or area means a street or area in which street trading is prohibited. A Consent street means a street or area in which street trading is prohibited without the consent of the Council. A map of the City Council area clearly showing prohibited streets or areas is available to view below and will be sent out when consent is granted.

Carlisle City Council has adopted the provisions of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 in respect of street trading.

In addition certain trading activities are allowed in the city centre under the Highways Act and the Market Charter.

To apply for a street trading licence:

An application form must be completed, accompanied by:-

  • Make, colour and registered number of vehicle;
  • Vehicle insurance;
  • Current MOT certificate;
  • Public Liability insurance;
  • Trading name on vehicle;
  • Details of any convictions of the applicant;

Street Trading consents expire 12 months after the date of grant.

Occasional Street Trading Consent

For short term or one off events, applications can be made for an Occasional Street Trading Licence. These are charged for per vehicle.

If you suspect someone of street trading without consent please contact us. Enforcement action will be taken against persons contravening this legislation.

Pedlar's licence

Pedlars must be mobile between transactions and can only be in the same position during a transaction, unlike licensed street traders who can can stay in the same place between sales.  More information on the difference between street traders and pedlars can be found on the downloadable documents along with Guidance for Pedlars.

Pedlars are not permitted to trade unless they have a pedlar's licence issued by the police. Once they have a licence, pedlars can trade throughout the country using the same licence.

Pedlars licenses are issued by the police. If you require a pedlar's licence, call Cumbria Police on 101.


This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically