Energy Bills Rebate
More than 46,000 households in Carlisle have been identified as eligible to receive a one-off £150 energy cost council tax rebate.
The first batch - 29,812 payments for those in council tax bands A to D who have paid for their council tax by direct debit since 1 April 2022 - have been made. These payments are shown as “BENEFITS” on customers bank statements.
A letter has been sent out to the remaining households, explaining how to provide your bank details or request a credit to your council tax account, to receive the £150 payment.
If you do not provide your bank details by Thursday 30 June 2022, your council tax account will be automatically credited with your £150.
Energy Bills Rebate - Background Information
What has the government announced?
• The government has announced a package of support to help households with rising energy bills, worth £9.1 billion in 2022-23.
• This includes:
o A £200 discount on their energy bill this Autumn for domestic electricity customers in Great Britain. This will be paid back automatically over the next 5 years.
o A £150 non-repayable, one-off Council Tax Rebate payment for all households that are liable in 2022/23 for Council Tax in Bands A-D in England.
o £144 million of discretionary funding for Local Authorities to support households who need support but are not eligible for the Council Tax Rebate.
How will the Council Tax rebate work?
Local councils are administering the £150 Council Tax Energy Rebate
- Households in England in Council Tax Bands A-D on 1st April 2022, who are not exempt from Council Tax, will be eligible for a £150 Council Tax Rebate payment.
- The rebate will be made by local authorities as a one-off payment to households. This won’t have to be repaid.
- 80% of households in England are in Council Tax Bands A-D, so will benefit from this rebate. The rebate will not be paid for second homes or empty properties.
- Households in England in Bands A-D that pay less than £150 or do not pay Council Tax as a result of Local Council Tax Support will also be eligible for a payment of £150.
- People in receipt of the Single Person Discount in Bands A-D will be eligible for a payment of £150.
- We expect the vast majority of people who pay by Direct Debit to receive this money from late April 2022 onwards, after the payment details we hold have been verified. For households in Bands A-D who do not pay by Direct Debit, we will need more information to be able to process energy rebate payments.
- For those who need help with their energy bills but are not eligible – such as households on income support in higher bands (E-H) or with properties in Bands A-D that are exempt from council tax – local authorities nationally will receive £144 million of discretionary funding to help.
The leaflet issued with the annual council tax bills explaining the scheme, is available as a downloadable document.
Our actions to provide this support are genuine, however, the Council Tax £150 Rebate creates an opportunity for malicious actors to pose as government departments, local authorities or council tax rebate services in order to collect personal or banking information from citizens.
Please see advice on identifying scams and reporting suspicious emails, phone calls and text messages by visiting www.actionfraud.police.uk