A Carlisle funding scheme launched to help communities come back together post lockdown and to stimulate economic activity in the district, has resulted in 24 community projects/events receiving a total of £50,000 funding.
We allocated the funding to support parish councils, community centres and constituted urban community groups to provide community activities and support the local economy.
The following organisations/projects received funding:
- Belle Vue Community Church: Community Gala including family fun activities, music workshop, refreshments, staff costs and materials.
- Bewcastle Garden of Remembrance at the Knowe: Creation of a woodland memorial garden/picnic area. Providing a focal point for walking and cycling in the area.
- Brampton Acting Together: Adult park run events at Talkin Tarn.
- Brampton Parish Council: Contribution to the cost of a new visitor focussed destination website for Brampton. Content by engaging with communities, schools, local artists and the wider parish. Plus, Provision of an outdoor seating area on Front Street.
- Burgh by Sands Parish Council: Enhance and develop Commemoration Site by improving green space and provide outdoor seating. Development of a wildflower area.
- Carlisle & District Federation of Community Organisations (Carlisle Matters): Family fun day at Morton Community Centre, Harraby Community Centre, Brampton Community Centre and Longtown Community Centre with information and advice on hardship and help as a result of the pandemic.
- Currock Community Association: Improvement to the garden area to provide a welcoming outdoor space (aimed at their older service users). Planting, portable gazeebo.
- Dalston Parish Council: Thankyou day for volunteers and local businesses who supported those isolating, shielding etc. Day of entertainment on Village Green. Plus, Provision of picnic benches for the recreation centre and a bench for the village square. A way of thanking those who supported the community during the pandemic.
- Great Corby Village Hall and Playing Field Association: Bank holiday fun weekend to promote the village and bring people together. Includes Family fun activities, crafts and music.
- Harraby Community Centre: Bring into use a secure outdoor area to create a community garden growing produce to support the food bank. Baby weaning and cooking on a budget classes.
- Kingmoor Parish Council: Park benches for the community.
- Meals on Wheels: Refurbishment of toilet facilities to make the building more useable by community.
- Nether Denton Parish Council: Improvement to community green space with addition of covered seating area.
- Scaleby Parish Council: Provision of two new benches and a book swap cabinet
- Stanwix Community Centre: Bounceback event including adjoining preschool and community groups
- Stanwix Rural Parish Council: Provision of six summer fun days at Crosby-on-Eden and Houghton.
- The Belah Centre: Provision of a fun day including entertainment, children’s activities. Purchase of food for community and gazebos for shelter and for future community activities.
- Wetheral Parish Council: Adult exercise equipment.
- Yewdale Community Centre: Redesign of front of Community Centre to provide an outdoor hub with covered seating area. Improvement of facilities by providing 'conferencing' equipment.