The consultation on local reorganisation in Cumbria means that Carlisle City Council and Cumbria County Council elections won’t go ahead as planned. However, elections for the Cumbria Police and Crime Commissioner and vacant seats on local councils will still be held.
More information about the Cumbria Police and Crime Commissioner election is available on this website.
In Carlisle, there will be three Carlisle City Council By-Elections - Cathedral & Castle ward, Harraby South & Parklands ward and Newtown & Morton North city ward.
There will also be a Cumbria County Council By-Election in Brampton division.
There are no contested parish council elections in 2021.
The elections will be held on Thursday 6 May 2021.
The elections will take place at a time when Covid-19 continues to present risks to public health. Depending on the infection rate, measures taken to control the spread of the virus may change as we approach May. This means we cannot currently answer all the questions you may have about how the election will be run. However, we are working hard with the UK Government, the Electoral Commission, the wider electoral community and public health authorities to help ensure you can stay safe when casting your vote next May.
Further information can also be found on the Electoral Commission website.
Who is standing for election?
The Statement of Persons Nominated for the Cumbria Police and Crime Commissioner Election, Carlisle City Council By-Elections and the Cumbria County Council Brampton Division By-Election are available on our upcoming elections webpage.
Changes to polling stations:
- Botcherby Family Centre, Ennerdale Avenue - polling station has moved to Botcherby Community Centre (Station 2).
- St Cuthbert’s Court, Myddleton Street - polling station has moved to the New Waterton Hall, Warwick Square.
- Blackford School - polling station has moved to Laing’s Café, Harker.
- Shankhill School - polling station has moved to Stapleton Public Hall, Stapleton.
- The portacabin on Lorne Crescent - polling station has moved to the Milbourne Arms, Milbourne Street.
- West End Temperance Hall - polling station has moved to Wigton Road Methodist Church Hall.
- Methodist Church Hall, Corby Hill - polling station has moved to Downagate Community Centre, Warwick Bridge.
- St John’s Ambulance Centre - polling station is now in a Portacabin on the grassed area adjacent to St. John’s Ambulance Centre, Scalegate Road.
- Wednesday 24 March - notice of election published
- Thursday 25 March - nominations open
- Monday 29 March - poll cards are sent out
- Thursday 8 April (4pm) - deadline for nominations
- Monday 19 April (midnight) - deadline to register to vote
- Tuesday 20 April (5pm) - deadline to register for a postal vote, amendments, or cancellations
- Tuesday 27 April (5pm) - deadline for new applications to vote by proxy
- Emergency proxies: deadline 5pm on Thursday 6 May - for electors who have tested positive for Covid or are self isolating will not need to provide the usual attestation (i.e. proof from a health professional)
- Thursday 6 May - election day (polling stations open between 7am and 10pm)