Parks and Green Spaces
Carlisle’s parks and green spaces remain open, but to ensure they stay open for everyone to use, we are advising visitors to follow the Government’s rules to stop the spread of COVID-19.
Following the publication of updated coronavirus government guidance (Monday 11 May), the car park at Talkin Tarn will reopen on Wednesday 13 May.
Within the updated guidance it states that “You can drive to outdoor publicly accessible open spaces irrespective of distance.”
The Country Park remains open but please follow social distancing guidelines.
The toilets and Tearoom remain closed to the public.
All Carlisle City Council play areas, Multi-use Games Areas, Outdoor Exercise Areas and the Skate Park remain closed.
Hammond’s Pond car park and access to Stony Holme golf course and the Sheepmount Road will also reopen.
The guidelines have been updated to allow for “exercise outside as often as you wish” and from Wednesday 13 May, you can also sit and rest outside - exercise or recreation can be alone, with members of your household, or with one other person from outside your household, while keeping two metres apart at all times.
When using Carlisle’s parks or green spaces, it is vital that you take these steps:
- Do not visit a park if you have any symptoms - See NHS guidelines if this applies to you.
- Observe social distancing, staying at least two metres apart from other people.
- Avoid touching surfaces (such as gates or handrails) and your mouth and face. Please follow Public Health England advice on hand washing including washing your hands as soon as you get home.
- Keep your dog(s) on leads at all times.
- Do not use areas of the park that have been closed such as play areas and outdoor exercise areas - these are closed for your safety.
- Wash your hands when you get home.
Please note - maintenance regimes in Carlisle’s parks and open spaces may be reduced at this time so we are focussing on keeping sites as safe and clean as possible. We’d appreciate the co-operation of the public who continue to use our green spaces in making use of litter bins.
The Talkin Tarn Tearoom is closed until further notice. The site remains opens to visitors.
Hammond’s Pond café will not reopen as planned.
To ensure our allotment sites can remain open and users are safe, please refer to the National Allotments Society guidelines.
Also follow government advice and if you have been advised to self-isolate, do not visit the allotment and stay at home. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults
National Allotments Society guidance in summary is as follows:
- Keep hand sanitiser in your shed and wash your hands regularly.
- Use hand sanitiser before opening and closing any gate locked.
- Observe “Social Distancing” - Stay two metres (6ft) away from other people.
- Do not share tools.
- Minimise the contact with each other for example no handshakes.
- Do not wash your hands in water troughs.
- All communal facilities are closed.
- Please consider neighbours and don’t burn anything during this covid19 emergency. Many allotment sites are surrounded by houses where vulnerable people may be getting their only bit of fresh air through an open window.
Further advice from the Association can be found at the following link: https://www.nsalg.org.uk/news/covid19-information/
Any queries, please contact us by calling 01228 817200 or email [email protected]