The following events were cancelled or postponed:
- 3 April - Carlisle Easter International Market, Carlisle city centre.
- 3 - 13 April - Easter Fair, Castle car park.
- 8 - 10 May VE Day programme of events, Carlisle city centre (postponed).
- 9 May - Skate Jam, Bitts Park.
- 13 May - Urban Trail Run Carlisle City Centre, Bitts Park and Rickerby Park.
- 25 May - Upperby Gala, Hammonds’ Pond.
- 13 June - Cumberland Show, Brisco.
- 12 July - Race for Life and Pretty Muddy, Bitts Park and Sheepmount (postponed)
Fireshow and Carlisle Christmas Lights Switch-On
This November’s Fireshow and Carlisle Christmas Lights Switch-On events are set to be cancelled as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.
A decision has been taken (subject to the decision not being called-in), to cancel both events as they attract thousands of spectators from across the region and the safety of the spectators cannot be guaranteed. Social distancing within both venues would not be possible.
The Fireshow, which was to be held in Bitts Park on Saturday 7 November, was expected to attract more than 35,000 people from across the region. The family event takes more than six months to organise and involves partners from a range of agencies including the emergency services.
The Christmas Lights Switch-On is usually held in the city centre and this year, was scheduled to take place on Sunday 15 November. The city centre will continue to have lights installed but with no open-air event. The event was also expected to attract thousands of spectators.
The Old Fire Station is closed and has postponed all shows.
Talkin Tarn open-air events
Two open-air theatre events will be held at Talkin Tarn Country Park this August.
Please bring along seating as the event will be held on the hard standing on the waterfront. The tearoom kiosk will be open serving a selection of tasty treats. Please follow social distancing guidance.
Thursday, 6 August: The Pantaloons presents Sherlock Holmes
The critically acclaimed Pantaloons Theatre Company put dynamic detective duo Holmes and Watson through their paces as they tackle their most fiendish case yet in this delightfully inventive and hilarious open-air show. For all ages featuring live music, audience interaction and more mystery than you can shake a magnifying glass at.
Thursday, 20 August: The Pantaloons presents Twelfth Night
Get in a fight. Cross-dress. Throw on some yellow stockings. Love can make you do the funniest things…! The Pantaloons present their own brand of open-air Shakespeare mayhem. Family-friendly fun with live music and audience participation!
Gates for both performances open at 6pm for a 7pm start. Tickets for each event cost £10 adult, £5 child (under 16) or £25 for a family ticket (2 adults and 2 children) and £8 concessions. Tickets are available from www.thepantaloons.co.uk
- Every effort will be made by The Pantaloons to help you maintain 2 metre distance from other audience members and performers when attending their show but please act responsibly and remember to follow all social distancing guidelines.
- Tickets must be booked in advance and cannot be purchased on the door.
- There will be no interval.
- Please consider wearing a face covering when entering and exiting the venue and taking it off for the performance/your picnic.
- Please do not arrive at the last moment as seating all groups may take more time than usual. Please be patient and queue when asked.
- If you have Covid-19 symptoms, please do not attend; The Pantaloons can refund or transfer your tickets.
Tourism business information
Support and advice for tourism businesses is available at: https://www.cumbriatourism.org/who-we-are/resource-hub/coronavirus-advice/