| Language and Accessibility

Latest News

[Return to Previous ]

Cumbria Flood Funding Support

Published on 17 November 2015

Cumbria Flood Funding Support

Cumbria Flood Newsletter

Download a copy of the Cumbria Flood Newsletter here.


Flood Re

Flood Re is designed to ensure affordable flood insurance is available for those homes at the highest risk of flooding.

Flood Re increases the availability and choice for home owners, making it easier to shop around to get the best deal. A video about the scheme is available at

To find out more, download their leaflet here.


£500 Flood Funding

The government is providing local authorities with Community Grants as part of the Communities and Business Recovery Scheme. This is equivalent to up to £500 per household affected by flooding. It will help with recovery costs such as provision of temporary accommodation.

In Cumbria this will mean a fixed payment of £500 for a property that has been flooded.


Carlisle City Council Support 

  • If you pay for your council tax by direct debit, you will receive this payment automatically - you do not need to do anything. You should have received written confirmation of the payment.

  • If you have moved to another property and you have provided us with a forwarding address, we will send you a cheque payment.
  • If you have moved to another property or are still living in your flood affected property, please contact us at [email protected] or call 01228 817200 to ensure we have your details. 
  • An application form can also be downloaded and returned to [email protected]


Cumbria Floods - Property Resilience Grant Scheme

Grants of up to £5,000 are available to homeowners and businesses that were flooded over 3rd-11th December 2015 or 24th-28th December 2015 to help fund additional flood resilience or resistance measures for homes and businesses. This funding is available for works associated with flood protection of properties affected by the flooding. Top up grants are also available from the Cumbria Community Foundation. Applicants must have applied to the appropriate District Council for the £5,000 Property Resilience grant. Applications for a top-up grant, would then only be considered if the costs of their resistance or resilience measures exceed £5,000.

If you think you may be eligible for a Property Resilience Grant, please complete the following application form and return it to [email protected] or to Carlisle City Council, Civic Centre, Carlisle, Cumbria CA3 8QG. The deadline for applications has been extended to Friday 31 March 2017.

Guidance notes are also available to help you complete the application.

Grants are intended only to fund measures which improve the property’s resilience or resistance to flooding.

Resilient measures can be undertaken as part of the flood restoration works. Resilient repairs, are principally based on accepting that the water will come into your home or business and then carrying out works to make your property more repairable in the event of further flooding, therefore reducing the impact on your home or business. Generally a loss adjuster or informed builder should be able to advice you on the use of alternative materials and minor adaptations to make your home or business recover quicker.

Resistant measures are based on stopping water entering the property or home and include measure such as flood barriers. If this is the best option for your home or business, the use of an experienced surveyor is strongly recommended as these have to be tailored to the source of the flood risk.

BERG Support

BERG, a Business Emergency Resilience Group, is now supporting Carlisle City Council to deal and process applications. They will also help flood affected property owners to get quotes to install flood alleviation measures.

They have a base within the Civic Centre, Carlisle and are available during the following hours: Monday - Friday, 9am - 4pm. They can also be contacted on 01228 817002 or email [email protected]

If you need independent advice on Resilience/Resistance measures, then the flood resilience grant allows for up to £500 for independent survey reports.

Carlisle City Council, working in partnership with JBA Consulting, can assist residents and business with independent advice on the most appropriate measure for your home.

Your Property Assessment

  • JBA Consulting will assess the routes by which flood water could enter your property, as well as property type and condition.
  • They will produce a report of their findings, including recommendations for suitable flood protection options for your property.
  • The survey should take no more than 90 minutes to complete.
  • Entry into your property will be required and JBA will need you to be present.
  • JBA surveyors will carry and present their company identification badge, as well as a letter of authority from Carlisle City Council.
  • The cost of the survey and report will depend on property type but will be less than the £500 (incl. VAT) allowance, typically in the region of £325 to £375 (ex VAT) and claimed directly through Carlisle City Council.
  • If you reserve a survey, you will be agreeing to make an application to the Council for a grant for the survey. In order to simplify the process the Council have agreed with JBA that the survey fee will be paid directly to JBA through the grant application process, however you will receive a copy of the invoice.

How to register for a survey?

  • To register for an independent Property Level flood Protection survey please contact JBA Consulting directly at [email protected] or by calling the dedicated JBA hotline on: 01633 410 021. Please quote: CARLISLEPLP
  • JBA will then arrange a time and date convenient for you to survey your property and discuss appropriate mitigation options. 
  • We appreciate that the timing of the survey will need to fit in with your renovation works. JBA will be available to carry out surveys until the end of December when grant applications close

Some changes have been made to the Property Resilience Grant Scheme. The changes reflect developing government guidance and information we have received from our residents and businesses.

•The scheme is now open to all properties that were flooded during Storm Desmond and Storm Eva. This includes households and business properties.

•If the property was insured and you are considering resilient repairs as part of the flood restoration works, we now only require ONE quotation with your application. This must be supported with evidence from your loss adjuster or insurance company, that they are happy with the schedule and the proposed pricing.

Further information on the flood grants is available to download below.  

Please contact us at [email protected] or call us on 01228 817200 if you have any queries.

Some useful links for independent advice.

National Flood Forum



Council Tax Relief Scheme

If you have contacted us about your flood affected property, we are in the process of working on your account and will be back in touch soon. If you haven't contacted us, please call 01228 817200 or email [email protected]

If you had to move out of your home because of flooding you will receive a 100% discount on both your flooded home and the property you have moved to if you are liable to pay council tax on your temporary home. If you are continuing to reside in the property that has been flooded but are unable to use the whole property, for example, using only the upstairs rooms, you are also eligible for a discount. You can also find more information of the full discount scheme and a list of Frequently Asked Questions. If you have notified us that you have been flooded and we have sufficient information we will automatically apply the discount, where we need more information we will be in touch shortly. If you've not already let us know that your home was flooded please do so.

Housing Benefits

Anyone receiving Housing Benefit who has to leave their home due to flooding will be eligible to claim Housing Benefit at their temporary address if they pay rent at the temporary address. Any liability to pay rent at their usual home should be discussed with their landlord during the period that the home is empty. Discretionary Housing Payments may be made if there is a shortfall between the rent and housing benefit for the temporary accommodation.


Business Rate Relief Scheme

The Business Rate Relief scheme will award 100% rate relief for a three month period to all businesses affected by the flooding. The relief applies for the full three months even if the premises reopen within that time. A fresh application can be made if the adverse effects continue and will be considered by the Council. The total maximum period for which relief can be obtained is 12 months.

Funding for individuals and families from the Cumbria Community Foundation

The Cumbria Flood Recovery Fund 2015, which is being run by the Cumbria Community Foundation will provide financial assistance to help individuals and families who have been affected.

There is help available for individuals and families whose homes have significant structural damage from flooding and for employees who have lost work or income because of storm or flood.  Please go online to apply at


Help for voluntary and community groups

Voluntary and community organisations also play a vital role in supporting communities during times of need and grants will be made available to them also.

Support is available to voluntary and community groups who are providing immediate relief to people and longer term community rebuilding projects. Support will also be provided to flood affected community facilities. Please apply on line at or call 01900 825760.


Funding for Businesses affected by flooding

Funding is now available to support businesses severely affected by the recent flooding – whether flooded directly or affected less directly through, for example, extended road closures.

Grants are available to non-farming small and medium sized businesses (up to 250 full time equivalent employees). Support for farming businesses is being arranged separately through Defra.

Grants can be used for a wide range of activities to support survival and recovery such as marketing, interest payments on new and existing loans, specialist advice, training, equipment and other activities supporting implementation of a recovery action plan.

Growth Hub advisers are available free of charge to assist with development of action plans and help put together the application. All applications must be reviewed and signed off by a Growth Hub adviser.

They can also provide other practical advice and support and link businesses into other advice, support and funding available to them.

Application packs, including guidance notes on the scheme, are available to download at

The application process is simple and 75% of the grant will be paid up front within days of approval. To apply contact Cumbria Business Growth Hub, 0844 257 8450 or [email protected]


Comments (0)Number of views (33370)

Categories: Residents, Council, Business, Breaking news



Documents to download

More links

Theme picker

«October 2020»

Search Archive

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically