| Language and Accessibility

Latest News

[Return to Previous ]

Do you want to build your own home?

Published on 19 February 2020

Do you want to build your own home?

Our Local Self-Build and Housebuilding Register provides valuable information about self-build and custom house building within Carlisle district. This is a register of people and associations that are seeking to acquire serviced plots to build their own homes to occupy as their sole or main residence.

A serviced plot of land has access to a public highway and connections for electricity, water and wastewater.

We will notify customers on the register whenever we become aware of any sites providing serviced plots for self/custom build receiving planning permission. We will also inform them of any other useful information, including details of any local events relating to custom or self-build housing.

Would you like to build your own home? Here’s how to join the register:

Applicants can register as individual or as an association (a group of people wanting to build together). Each individual or member of an association of individuals that applies for entry must be:

  • aged 18 or older;
  • a British citizen, a national of a European Economic Area (EEA) State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland; and
  • seeking (alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in the Carlisle district area to build a house to occupy as that individual’s sole or main residence.

Individuals who wish to register as an association must appoint a member or officer to act as the lead contact for the purposes of correspondence.

If you are part of a couple or other household group that wants to register for a single plot, please complete the ‘individual’ application. If you are representing a self-build group and would like to make an application on behalf of the group, please complete the ‘association’ application. 

Once you have submitted your application, we will notify you within 28 days as to the success of your application for entry to the register. 

If you wish to apply to join the register, please download the appropriate form for

  • individual self-builders; or 
  • associations of self-builders (if you are part of a group).

The form should then be returned to the e-mail address or postal address on the bottom of the form.

For copies of the application forms and to find out more, visit

Self-builders are subject to the planning rules. Find out more about planning advice and guidance at


Comments (0)Number of views (1625)

Categories: News, Residents, Council, Business, Breaking news



Theme picker

«June 2021»

Have your say!

Take part in our online survey and you could win a prize

Read more

Carlisle Hawker Festival

Thursday 10 - Sunday 13 June 2021

Read more

Search Archive

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically