Flood affected Carlisle residents and businesses are being reminded that up to £5,000 is available to fund measures which improve a household or business property’s resilience or resistance to flooding.
BERG, a Business Emergency Resilience Group, is now supporting Carlisle City Council to deal and process applications. They will also help flood affected property owners to get quotes to install flood alleviation measures.
They have a base within the Civic Centre, Carlisle and are available during the following hours: Monday - Friday, 9am - 4pm. They can also be contacted on 01228 817002 or email [email protected]
Grants of up to £5,000 are available to homeowners and businesses that were flooded over 3rd-11th December 2015 or 24th-28th December 2015 to help fund additional flood resilience or resistance measures for homes and businesses.
Part of the Property Resilience eligibility criteria allows flood affected property owners to get a qualified surveyor to assess their home/business and make a professional recommendation as to how the money is best used/invested. £500 of the overall £5,000 can be claimed against that cost.
The flood resilience grants are intended only to fund additional measures which improve the property’s future protection or resistance to flooding, over and above any repairs to flooded properties that would normally be covered by insurance. The grants can be spent on things such as:
- Professional surveys to assess flood risk and what measures should be taken
- Permanent flood doors and window guards
- Replacing chipboard kitchen or bathroom units with plastic units to minimise water damage
- Replacing existing plaster and wall insulation with water resistant plaster and insulation materials
- Sump pumps
- Smaller measures such as watertight covers for airbricks and special seals and valves to prevent sewage backflow.
The end date for applications for both residential and business property applications is Friday 31 March 2017.
For more information and to download an application form, visit www.carlisle.gov.uk/flooding