Latest News

[Return to Previous ]

Landlords - is your property licensed?

Published on 20 August 2018

Landlords - is your property licensed?

Important changes to the way houses in multiple occupation (HMOs) comes into effect from Monday 1 October this year.

Carlisle landlords are being advised of the new changes and are urged to check now, to see if they need to apply for a licence.

New legislation, designed to drive up housing and safety standards in the private rented sector, will mean more local landlords will now need to apply for a licence.

Around 100 HMOs are currently licensed across Carlisle and it is estimated that figure could increase substantially.

From Monday 1 October 2018 any property regardless of size with five or more people in two or more households will need a licence. This will affect bedsits and student lets and other similar uses.

Landlords who have not submitted their application to Carlisle City Council before that date will be committing an offence and may be prosecuted.

A change in national legislation removes the three storey criteria on licensed HMOs and will affect many landlords. In future any property which is being shared by five or more adults in more than one household (i.e. not a single family) - must be licensed.

A licence costs £550 for up to 10 bedrooms and £10.60 for each extra bedroom up to a maximum of £900. A licence usually last five years.

For more details about HMO licensing and to make an application please go to the Carlisle City Council website or telephone the Housing and Pollution Team on 012288 7316. A paper application can also be requested.

Please remember that applications must be received before Monday 1 October 2018.

Comments (0)Number of views (1263)

Categories: News, Residents, Council, Business, Breaking news



«February 2019»

Warm Homes Fund

First time gas central heating for home owners and private renters

Read more

Search Archive

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically