Zoos & Dangerous Wild Animals
Zoos can range from the traditional type of zoo and safari park to small specialist collections such as butterfly houses and aquaria.
To run a zoo in the Carlisle area, you need a licence from us.
The licence may be subject to fees, and conditions to ensure the proper conduct of the zoo.
At least two months before making an application for a licence, you must give notice in writing to the Licensing Team of your intention to make the application. The notice must identify:
- the zoo's location
- the types of animals, approximate number of each
- the arrangements for their accommodation, maintenance and wellbeing
- the approximate number of staff to be employed in the zoo
- the approximate number of visitors and motor vehicles for which accommodation is to be provided
- the approximate number and position of access to be provided to the premises
- how required conservation measures will be implemented at the zoo
At least two months before making the application, you must also publish notice of that intention in one local newspaper and one national newspaper and exhibit a copy of that notice. The notice must identify the location of the zoo and state that the application notice to the local authority is available to be inspected at the local authority offices.