Thursday , April , 26 2018

Horse Riding Establishments

Licence Summary

You need a licence from the Council under the Riding Establishments Acts of 1964 and 1970 to run a riding establishment (where horses or ponies are hired out for riding or used for riding instruction). This means that every person who keeps horses and hires them for riding, or who provides, in return for payment, instruction in riding is required to be licensed.

Eligibility Criteria

You must be over 18 years old, and you cannot get a licence if you have been disqualified from any of the following at the time of the application:

  • from keeping a riding establishment
  • from keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
  • from having custody of animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
  • from keeping boarding establishments for animals under the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963
  • under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 from keeping or owning animals, being able to influence how animals are kept, dealing animals or transporting or being involved in the transporting of animals under the Animal Welfare Act 2006

There is a variable annual fee which can be found in our current Table of Fees.

You must comply with any conditions (see downloads right) attached to a license.

Licenses must be renewed on an annual basis.

Application Evaluation Process

We will arrange for a visit from an Environmental Health Officer and a Veterinary surgeon, who will inspect the premises to ensure they are suitable for a riding establishment, and detail the conditions of the premises, tack and horses.

Before we can issue a license we must be satisfied that:

  • you are suitable and qualified to hold a license
  • that consideration will be given to the condition of the horses and that they will be maintained in good health, kept physically fit and where the horse is to be ridden or used during riding instruction, be suitable for that purpose
  • that the animals feet will be trimmed properly and that shoes are fitted properly and are in good condition
  • that there will be suitable accommodation for the horses
  • that for horses maintained on grass there is suitable pasture, shelter and water and that supplementary feed will be provided as and when needed
  • that horses will be provided with suitable food, drink and bedding materials and will be exercised, groomed, rested and visited at suitable intervals
  • that precautions will be taken to reduce the spread of contagious or infectious diseases and that veterinary first aid equipment and medicines will be provided and maintained
  • that appropriate procedures are in place to protect and remove the horses in the case of a fire, and that as part of this the name, address and telephone number of the license holder is displayed outside the premises and fire instructions are displayed
  • that storage facilities for forage, bedding, stable equipment and saddlery are provided
  • that any horse inspected by an authorised officer and found to need veterinary attention will not be returned to work until the licence holder has obtained a veterinary certificate confirming the horse is fit for work
  • that a horse will not be let out for hire or for use in instruction without the supervision of a responsible person aged 16 years or older, unless the license holder is satisfied the rider doesn't require supervision
  • that the business will not be left in the charge of someone under 16 years of age
  • that the licence holder holds indemnity insurance for public liability

You must keep a register of all horses in your possession and make the register available for inspection at all reasonable times

Apply online

This service lets you submit a form and its related documentation online (see external links). In addition to the licence fee the vet's

Trade Associations

Links to trade associations can be found right

  Riding Establishment FAQ

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically