You are Here : Business  >  Licences and Permits  >  Temporary Events
Sunday , February , 25 2018

Advice on Staging a Temporary Event.

If you are staging a small event where less than 500 people are likely to attend, you may need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice.

This notice will be essential if your event is providing licensable activities i.e. regulated entertainment, sale of alcohol, or hot food or drink for sale (between 23:00 and 05:00 often referred to as ‘late night refreshment’). Please refer to our Guidance notes (GD03) that explains ‘regulated entertainment’

Someone who holds a personal licence will be able to hold up to 50 temporary events a year at premises that are not licensed. Non-personal licence holders will be able to hold up to 5 temporary events a year. A Temporary Event Notice must be given to the council at least 10 clear working days before an event of this sort can be held, and the police and Environmental Health may object to it under the four licensing objectives.

The legislation now allows a limited number of 'late' notices to be served giving between 5 and 9 clear days notice. A personal licence holder may serve up to 10 late notices and a non-personal licence holder up to 2.

The legislation does not allow any discretion to accept the notice with less than 5 clear working days notice.

Individual premises may only hold 15 temporary events per year and the total number of days must be no more than 21.

  Temporary Events FAQ

How does it work

Limitations on events under a TEN

  • No more than 499 people on the premises at any one time for each event
  • A TEN event can last up to 168 hours or 7 days
  • Each premises can hold no more than 15 TEN events per year
  • Maximum total period covered by a TEN at any premises is 21 days per year
  • Must be a minimum of 24 hours between each event notified by the same event organizer at any premises
  • Multiple TENS can be submitted at the same time but each event is a separate TEN with a separate fee payable.  The limits set out above cannot be exceeded.
  • Anyone over the age of 18 can submit a maximum of 5 TENs per year
  • Personal Licence Holders can submit a maximum of 50 TENs per year

Provided that the criteria set out above are met, only the Police or Environmental Protection may object to an event covered by a TEN.

In circumstances where the above criteria are not met, the Licensing Service must reject the TEN and the event will not be allowed to go ahead.

Where a TEN authorises the supply of alcohol, the notice contains a statement confirming that all such supplies are made by or under the authority of the premises user. 

Amongst other things, a TEN must also provide details of the following:

  • details of the licensable activities
  • the location of the event and how long it will last
  • the times when licensable activities will take place
  • the maximum number of people to be allowed on the premises at any one time

Where premises are hired out to organisations/individuals for their own events, premises owners/operators must be aware that TENs submitted by such persons will be counted under the limits set down in the Act.  We recommend that a booking agreement is used to ensure that all TENs made in respect of a premises are made with the agreement of the premises owner/operator.

You cannot exceed the times or dates you have specified in your TEN.

If the premises where the event is to be held straddles two or more local authority areas, then the a TEN must be served on each council.

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically