You are Here : Business  >  Licences and Permits  >  Temporary Events
Sunday , February , 25 2018

Advice on Staging a Temporary Event.

If you are staging a small event where less than 500 people are likely to attend, you may need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice.

This notice will be essential if your event is providing licensable activities i.e. regulated entertainment, sale of alcohol, or hot food or drink for sale (between 23:00 and 05:00 often referred to as ‘late night refreshment’). Please refer to our Guidance notes (GD03) that explains ‘regulated entertainment’

Someone who holds a personal licence will be able to hold up to 50 temporary events a year at premises that are not licensed. Non-personal licence holders will be able to hold up to 5 temporary events a year. A Temporary Event Notice must be given to the council at least 10 clear working days before an event of this sort can be held, and the police and Environmental Health may object to it under the four licensing objectives.

The legislation now allows a limited number of 'late' notices to be served giving between 5 and 9 clear days notice. A personal licence holder may serve up to 10 late notices and a non-personal licence holder up to 2.

The legislation does not allow any discretion to accept the notice with less than 5 clear working days notice.

Individual premises may only hold 15 temporary events per year and the total number of days must be no more than 21.

  Temporary Events FAQ


If the Police or Environmental Health believe that allowing the event will undermine any of the licensing objectives (prevention of crime and disorder, prevention of public nuisance, public safety or protection of children from harm), they must give the premises user and the Council an objection notice.  Objections must be made within three working days of receiving the TEN.

With the agreement of the premises user, the police or environmental protection can modify the TEN.

If no agreement is reached, the Council must hold a hearing to consider the notice at least 24 hrs before the event. The Councilors’ may decide to allow the event to go ahead as stated in the notice. If the premises already has a premises licence or club premises certificate, existing conditions can be applied to the TEN. Alternatively the sub-committee can decide that the event would undermine the licensing objectives and should not take place.  In this case, the Council must issue a counter notice.  The Licensing Service will issue a hearing decision notice giving details of the reason for the decision made.

Before you serve a TEN, it might be advisable to seek advice from the Police or Environmental Health.

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically