Thursday , July , 25 2024
| Language and Accessibility

Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find the information you want in our service pages, you may be able to find it on this main FAQ page.
After looking at the statistics of how users browse our site we have now focused on the most used services as priority, many hundreds of information pages on our site that were accessed rarely or sometimes not at all have now been removed to de-clutter and make our site easier to use.

However we still accept that some information is desirable to help our users better understand aspects of how Carlisle City Council services work, so we provide FAQ lists on most our section landing pages.
All FAQs including any FAQ that does not fit in any of our our site sections are accessible here in the master FAQ page.

Master FAQ ( select a category or search for answers )
Benefits and Support Information HereHow to comment / object on an applicationRateable Value What are Business RatesWho has to pay Business Rates?Agricultural HedgesBuy a planCopyrightDecision NoticesDesign and Access StatementsFees and Charges Freedom of Information ActPlanning appeals How we publicise applicationsBurial - Frequently Asked QuestionsBulky Household Waste CollectionCarlisle Cemetery & CrematoriumCharter for the BereavedCremation - Frequently Asked QuestionsHistorical Searches and Funeral RecordsMemorial SafetyPublic Health Act FuneralsOrganising a FuneralSubsidised Green Cone and Green Johanna food waste digestersCommon QuestionsCompostingGarden WasteGreenboxLicences and RegistrationCockroachesBed bugsOther types of pestsRats and MiceRats and MiceStored product pestsCA Question Equal opportunitiesWhat are the different sections for?What happens next?Living in CarlisleQuestionAnything I shouldn’t cover?Can I make a visual presentation at the meeting?Can I speak on more than one occasion?How do I register my interest in speaking?How will I know when the item I am interested in is going to Committee?Special provisions relating to tree preservation ordersWhat is public speaking?What is public speaking?What can I speak about?What issues can I cover in my three minutes?What if I am not one of the first to register?What will happen at Committee?What if I am unable to turn up on the day?Who can speak at the Committee?Adaptations and Housing GrantsFind out how to become energy efficientFind help with social housingFind private rented housingGet some housing adviceHouse in Multiple Occupation (HMO)Improving your home for lifeSheltered housing View Carlisle's housing strategyView information for residents who are homelessQuestionApplication Evaluation ProcessQuestionAccommodation in the private sectorAdvice AgenciesCarlisle Deposit Guarantee SchemeWhat you will need to rent a private propertyEstate Agents & Letting AgentsEnding your Housing Association TenancyEnding an assured short-hold tenancyFinding a home to rent from a Housing AssociationPrivate tenanciesHarassment and illegal evictionHarrassment & Illegal EvictionHousing Associations covering Carlisle areaPaying for private rented accommodationSingle peopleWhat is a housing association?What you will need to rent a housing association propertyWhat will happen if you don't pay your rentAbbeyfield SocietyAnchor HousingBrampton Rural Housing SocietyDimensions (UK) Limited Eden Housing AssociationHaig HomesHanover Housing AssociationHousing 21Home North WestImpact Housing Association LimitedMilecastle Housing (was Nomad Housing)Mitre Housing AssociationRailway Housing AssociationRiverside Carlisle (formerly known as Carlisle Housing Association)Two Castles Housing AssociationComplaints about taxisHackney Carriage Driver LicencesI intend to open a premises offering gambling. I have seen a property which is suitable and would like to know if I will get a premises licence.Lottery Offences and PenaltiesHackney Carriage (Taxi) LicencesMy licence has recently lapsed (less than 6 months ago).Hackney Carriage Maximum FaresHackney Carriage SpecificationPrivate Hire Operators LicencePrivate Hire Vehicle Drivers Licence Private Hire Vehicle LicencePrivate Hire Vehicle SpecificationAdvice on Debt and Claiming BenefitOccasional use noticesApplication Evaluation Process?Consumer ComplaintDoor supervisorsExempt Premises in CarlisleFailed Application RedressHow to object to a premises licenceProvisional StatementsPubwatchPremises licence review hearingsAre you entitled to claim Housing Benefit?Benefits if your are in Hospital Benefits in Work Benefit OverpaymentsCan I apply for extra help with my rent on top of my Housing Benefit? Contacting the Benefits Section Do other people living in my home affect my claim?How do I claim Housing Benefit?How your Benefit / Reduction is worked outHow we pay benefit / reduction to youHow often do I need to renew my claim for Benefit?I am elderly or disabled - can someone visit to help me claim?If you are claiming Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance or Job Seekers AllowanceInformation for people from abroadInformation for Students What information do we need with your claim?What do I need to do if my circumstances change?When will my claim start from and can I backdate a claim? Who Cannot Claim Housing Benefit?Connect your AccountsIllegal Street TradingLicence Street TradingHow much Local Housing Allowance can I get? How will Local Housing Allowance be paid?Who can get Local Housing Allowance?What does the Local Housing Allowance scheme cover?Who will not get Local Housing Allowance?e-billingHow to register for Self-ServiceMore Information Requesting your PINAppeals Are you entitled to claim Council Tax Reduction?Benefits while you stay in HospitalContacting the Benefits OfficeDo other people living in my home affect my claim?How do we calculate how much Council Tax Reduction you will receive?How often do I need to renew my claim for Benefit?How do I claim Council Tax Reduction?How we pay benefit / reduction to youInformation for people over 60 years of ageInformation for people from abroadIf you are claiming Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance or Job Seekers AllowanceStudents What information do we need with your claim?What do I need to do if my circumstances change?What counts as Capital and how does it affect my Benefit /Reduction?When does my claim start from? When your Benefit will end ?Who cannot claim?Prosecutions registerWaspsTattooing skin - piercing registration Training on Health and SafetyOccupational health servicesWater quality and floodingQuestionHelp with your wasteWhat are the restrictions of getting a riding licenceStreet Parties and FêtesTemporary use noticesBenefits of using our serviceBuilding Control Performance StandardsIntegrated plan approvalsTailoring of site inspections to meet individual needsDangerous structures and demolitionHow do I obtain Building Regulation Approval?How much do I have to pay?How much notice do I need to give for a site inspection?What are the Building Regulations?What do I do on completion?What is the difference between Full Plans Applications and Building Notices?When can I start work?Scrap Metal DealersPlastic and Card (green bags)What happens to my recycling?Will Tacit Consent Apply?Privacy / Terms and conditions GDPR Who is responsible for my information? How will this be used? How long will this be kept for? Where can I find out more information?Dog Grooming / Dog Walking / Pet Taxi Services
Image for search button

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically