Wednesday , June , 16 2021
| Language and Accessibility

Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find the information you want in our service pages, you may be able to find it on this main FAQ page.
After looking at the statistics of how users browse our site we have now focused on the most used services as priority, many hundreds of information pages on our site that were accessed rarely or sometimes not at all have now been removed to de-clutter and make our site easier to use.

However we still accept that some information is desirable to help our users better understand aspects of how Carlisle City Council services work, so we provide FAQ lists on most our section landing pages.
All FAQs including any FAQ that does not fit in any of our our site sections are accessible here in the master FAQ page.

Master FAQ ( select a category or search for answers )

What you will need to rent a private property

Many private landlords ask for a cash deposit before they will grant a tenancy. This it to act as an insurance against damage to their property. You should always check with the landlord, how much deposit will be and on what terms, before going to see a property. You will usually need to pay the deposit the day the tenancy begins along with the first rent payment (usually 4 weeks in advance).

Tenancy Deposit Protection came into force on Friday, 6 April 2007 and the Government has awarded contracts to three companies to run the scheme (details available on request).

This means that the deposit you pay will be held by one of these companies until the end of the tenancy and an independent agency will decide on any disputes about getting back your deposit. If the landlord wants a deposit, ask for the name of the company where it will be held.

The Deposit Guarantee Scheme (DiGS), helps people who need a private tenancy by providing the landlord with a guarantee rather than payment of the deposit up front.

If you cannot afford a deposit, you may be able to get help from the Deposit Guarantee Scheme, please ask for a leaflet from the Council, Citizens Advice Bureau, Connexions or Community Projects Carlisle (CPC).

You might also need references from previous landlords and from your employer if you are working. You should check with the landlord what is required (such as references, credit check, deposit, how much rent in advance?) before going to see a property.

Image for search button

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically