Monday , June , 14 2021
| Language and Accessibility

Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find the information you want in our service pages, you may be able to find it on this main FAQ page.
After looking at the statistics of how users browse our site we have now focused on the most used services as priority, many hundreds of information pages on our site that were accessed rarely or sometimes not at all have now been removed to de-clutter and make our site easier to use.

However we still accept that some information is desirable to help our users better understand aspects of how Carlisle City Council services work, so we provide FAQ lists on most our section landing pages.
All FAQs including any FAQ that does not fit in any of our our site sections are accessible here in the master FAQ page.

Master FAQ ( select a category or search for answers )

Harassment and illegal eviction

It is illegal for your landlord to make you leave your premises by putting pressure on you, or by locking you out. If your landlord does this to you, then contact Carlisle City Council’s Housing Services on 01228 817000, the Cumbria Law Centre on 01228 515129 or the Citizens Advice Bureau on 01228 633900 immediately. If it is the evening or weekend and none of these are available, contact a solicitor or telephone the police.

Quick court action by a solicitor can get you back into your accommodation and stop the landlord from harassing you.

Harassment can take many forms, ranging from threats or acts of violence, to more subtle means by telephone calls or visits late at night, or building works started but not finished.

The Council can, and does prosecute landlords for harassment, and/or unlawful eviction, but cannot get you back into the accommodation.

Some useful leaflets

Available from the Customer Contact Centre, Civic Centre.

  • Resolve Mediation Services
  • Pension Credit
  • Renting & Letting – Rights for Landlords and Tenants
  • Notice the you must leave – a brief guide for landlords and tenants
  • Assured & Assured Shorthold Tenancies – a guide for tenants
  • Do you rent, or are you thinking of renting from a private landlord?
  • "My landlord wants me out" – protection against harassment and illegal eviction
  • Letting rooms in your home – a guide for landlords and their tenants
  • Repairs – a guide for landlords and tenants
  • Disabled facilities grants

Image for search button

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically