Monday , June , 14 2021
| Language and Accessibility

Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find the information you want in our service pages, you may be able to find it on this main FAQ page.
After looking at the statistics of how users browse our site we have now focused on the most used services as priority, many hundreds of information pages on our site that were accessed rarely or sometimes not at all have now been removed to de-clutter and make our site easier to use.

However we still accept that some information is desirable to help our users better understand aspects of how Carlisle City Council services work, so we provide FAQ lists on most our section landing pages.
All FAQs including any FAQ that does not fit in any of our our site sections are accessible here in the master FAQ page.

Master FAQ ( select a category or search for answers )

Carlisle Deposit Guarantee Scheme

What Is the Accommodation Deposit Guarantee Scheme?

The scheme provides a landlord with a bond guarantee and is usually up to a months rent to cover any damages that may occur at the end of the bond period.

Who runs the scheme?

Carlisle City Council

Who can apply?

To be considered for the scheme you must:

  • Be homeless or threatened with homelessness;
  • Have a local connection to Carlisle including working and / or living in the district;
  • Be on a low income, or in receipt of or entitled to claim income support, job seekers allownace, housing benefit or universal credit. Proof of income is required - this includes copies of bank statements and benefit award letters, payslips etc;
  • Have sufficient forms of identification, such as passport, driving licence, utility bills etc; and
  • Be capable of managing a tenancy and must understand the responsibility of being a tenant.

What does the guarantee cover?

The guarantee will cover an amount up to the value of one months rent in respect of:

  • Any loss or damage to the property caused by the tenant. The landlord must provide an inventory which will be agreed with a representative of Carlisle City Council and the tenant must also agree and sign it.

What is not covered?

  • Normal wear and tear
  • Items that would otherwise be covered by household insurance;
  • The scheme does not cover rent payments and applicants will need to be able to pay the rent themselves or make a housing benefit claim. In some cases the housing benefit may not cover all of the rent, in these cases the tenant will have to pay the short fall.

Anything else I need to know?

  • A financial assessment will be carried out to check that the applicant can afford to pay the rent;
  • Carlisle City Council will only pay for agreed damages once receipts and invoices have been received. No money is given to the landlord in advance;
  • Carlisle City Council doesn not make any recommendation about the suitability of a tenant;
  • The guarantee is only available for those renting self-contained accommodation and not supported or sheltered accommodation; and
  • Id damages to the property amount to more than one months rent the landlord would need to take dorect action against the tenant to claim these costs.

For further information, download an application form, or please contact or visit:

Homelessness Services

Carlisle City Council

Civic Centre



Phone: 01228 817079

Email: [email protected]

Image for search button

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically