Monday , June , 14 2021
| Language and Accessibility

Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find the information you want in our service pages, you may be able to find it on this main FAQ page.
After looking at the statistics of how users browse our site we have now focused on the most used services as priority, many hundreds of information pages on our site that were accessed rarely or sometimes not at all have now been removed to de-clutter and make our site easier to use.

However we still accept that some information is desirable to help our users better understand aspects of how Carlisle City Council services work, so we provide FAQ lists on most our section landing pages.
All FAQs including any FAQ that does not fit in any of our our site sections are accessible here in the master FAQ page.

Master FAQ ( select a category or search for answers )

Hackney Carriage Driver Licences

Hackney Carriage drivers are licensed by us for your safety.

Once granted a licence, taxi drivers are issued with a badge showing their photograph, identity number and expiry date of the licence.

To get  a licence a driver must first:

  • Have held a full driving licence for at least 12 months
  • Have their driving licence verified by the DVLA
  • Have a "DVLA Group 2" medical examination
  • Take a verbal test consisting of local knowledge, locations and routes, codes of practice and basic maths
  • Attend a Disability Awareness course
  • Pass a Driving Standards Agency taxi driving test.
  • Get an enhanced DBS disclosure of convictions (Carlisle City Council will adhere to the Home Office Code of Practice)
  • Fill in an application form (below) and return with the appropriate fee

Note: If the driver wishes to drive a wheelchair accessible taxi, they must also pass the wheelchair element of the taxi driving test.

If you are interested in applying for a Hackney Carriage driving licence, please make an appointment to see a licensing officer who will talk to you about your application.

Carlisle City Council sets the licence fees for licences, permits and registrations to cover administration, inspection and enforcement costs.

Image for search button

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically