Monday , June , 14 2021
| Language and Accessibility

Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find the information you want in our service pages, you may be able to find it on this main FAQ page.
After looking at the statistics of how users browse our site we have now focused on the most used services as priority, many hundreds of information pages on our site that were accessed rarely or sometimes not at all have now been removed to de-clutter and make our site easier to use.

However we still accept that some information is desirable to help our users better understand aspects of how Carlisle City Council services work, so we provide FAQ lists on most our section landing pages.
All FAQs including any FAQ that does not fit in any of our our site sections are accessible here in the master FAQ page.

Master FAQ ( select a category or search for answers )

Hackney Carriage Specification

The vehicle must be one of the following:

  • A "London Cab" style (FX4 or later design)
  • A wheelchair accessible vehicle, approved by the council
  • A white saloon, hatchback, estate or people carrier (but not a mini-bus).

We will only license a saloon, hatchback, estate or people carrier that have:

  • A width of not less than 1.701m (5ft 7ins) excluding door mirrors
  • A length of not less than 4.266m (14ft)
  • An engine with a minimum power output of 90bhp or 66KW
  • At least 3 passenger doors
  • Seat belts fitted to all forward facing seats
  • Window glass tinted no darker than 32% +/- 2%

Note: lengths, widths and engine sizes are "as described by the manufacturer". Ensure you discuss any window tint with the Licensing Office prior to purchase.

We will only license vehicles which are under 3 years old upon first licensing with this authority. We will not normally renew licences once the vehicle reaches the age of 10 years.

All Hackney Carriages must be equipped with an illuminated roof sign and “For Hire” light of a type specified by the council. We regulate advertising on Hackney Carriage vehicles and application must be made through the Licensing Office at the Civic Centre before any advertising is carried out.

There are penalties for knowingly giving false information in respect of this application. 

Image for search button

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically