Monday , June , 14 2021
| Language and Accessibility

Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find the information you want in our service pages, you may be able to find it on this main FAQ page.
After looking at the statistics of how users browse our site we have now focused on the most used services as priority, many hundreds of information pages on our site that were accessed rarely or sometimes not at all have now been removed to de-clutter and make our site easier to use.

However we still accept that some information is desirable to help our users better understand aspects of how Carlisle City Council services work, so we provide FAQ lists on most our section landing pages.
All FAQs including any FAQ that does not fit in any of our our site sections are accessible here in the master FAQ page.

Master FAQ ( select a category or search for answers )

Private Hire Vehicle Licence

Private Hire vehicles are licensed by us to make sure they are suitable and safe to travel in.

Private hire vehicles may not:

  • stand on a rank
  • be flagged down in the street

A private hire vehicle can only accept pre-booked calls.

Vehicles must be of a certain standard before and whilst licensed. At 12 months of age, they must have an MOT certificate. All vehicles under 5 years old must pass an inspection every six months. Vehicles over 5 years old are inspected every four months.

Like taxis, vehicles used for private hire must be clean, comfortable and carry safety equipment such as a fire extinguisher, first aid kit and a spare wheel.

We publish a Public Register of licences.

Carlisle City Council sets the licence fees for licences, permits and registrations to cover administration, inspection and enforcement costs. .

The charges are included in our Table of fees.

Image for search button

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically