Saturday , June , 12 2021
| Language and Accessibility

Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find the information you want in our service pages, you may be able to find it on this main FAQ page.
After looking at the statistics of how users browse our site we have now focused on the most used services as priority, many hundreds of information pages on our site that were accessed rarely or sometimes not at all have now been removed to de-clutter and make our site easier to use.

However we still accept that some information is desirable to help our users better understand aspects of how Carlisle City Council services work, so we provide FAQ lists on most our section landing pages.
All FAQs including any FAQ that does not fit in any of our our site sections are accessible here in the master FAQ page.

Master FAQ ( select a category or search for answers )

Private Hire Vehicle Specification

The City Council will only license a vehicle with:

  • A width of not less than 1.63m (5ft 4ins) excluding door mirrors
  • A length of not less than 3.96m (13ft)
  • An engine of not less than 1.2 litre (1200cc)
  • At least 3 passenger doors
  • Seat belts fitted to all forward facing seats
  • Window glass tinted no darker than 32% +/- 2%

Note: lengths, widths and engine sizes are "as described by the manufacturer". Ensure you discuss any window tint with the Licensing Office prior to purchase.

The City Council will not issue a private hire vehicle licence:

  • to a “London Taxi” type
  • to any saloon, hatchback, estate or people carrier which is predominately white in colour. 
  • to a vehicle older than 8 years unless that vehicle is a purpose built stretch limousine or specialist vehicle.

The Council regulates advertising on Private Hire vehicles and application must be made through the Licensing Office at the Civic Centre before any advertising is carried out.

Image for search button

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically