Monday , June , 14 2021
| Language and Accessibility

Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find the information you want in our service pages, you may be able to find it on this main FAQ page.
After looking at the statistics of how users browse our site we have now focused on the most used services as priority, many hundreds of information pages on our site that were accessed rarely or sometimes not at all have now been removed to de-clutter and make our site easier to use.

However we still accept that some information is desirable to help our users better understand aspects of how Carlisle City Council services work, so we provide FAQ lists on most our section landing pages.
All FAQs including any FAQ that does not fit in any of our our site sections are accessible here in the master FAQ page.

Master FAQ ( select a category or search for answers )

Are you entitled to claim Housing Benefit?

Who can claim?

Almost anyone on a low income can claim Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

You can claim:

Housing Benefit if you are responsible for paying rent for where you live in;

  • Privately rented accommodation
  • Housing Association.
  • Boarder or sub-tenant


Council Tax Reduction Scheme if you are responsible for paying Council Tax;

  • Boarders and sub-tenants cannot claim Council Tax Reduction Scheme

You can claim Housing Benefit if you live in a Hostel (not a bail hostel) but you cannot claim Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

If you have a mortgage you can claim Council Tax Reduction Scheme but not Housing Benefit. Your mortgage costs can be met through Income Support, Income based Jobseekers Allowance or Pension Credit (Guarantee part).




Image for search button

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically