Wednesday , June , 16 2021
| Language and Accessibility

Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find the information you want in our service pages, you may be able to find it on this main FAQ page.
After looking at the statistics of how users browse our site we have now focused on the most used services as priority, many hundreds of information pages on our site that were accessed rarely or sometimes not at all have now been removed to de-clutter and make our site easier to use.

However we still accept that some information is desirable to help our users better understand aspects of how Carlisle City Council services work, so we provide FAQ lists on most our section landing pages.
All FAQs including any FAQ that does not fit in any of our our site sections are accessible here in the master FAQ page.

Master FAQ ( select a category or search for answers )

Who Cannot Claim Housing Benefit?

Who cannot claim?

There are some people who cannot get Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction Scheme, even if they are getting a low income.

For example, if:

  • You have more than £16,000 in savings.
  • You pay rent to a close relative and they live in the same home.
  • You do not have to pay rent or Council Tax for your home.
  • You are a person from abroad, and are subject to immigration control, please see People from Abroad for more information.
  • Most full-time students but there are some exceptions to this, see the section on Students.

If in doubt contact the Benefits office for advice.

Image for search button

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically