Monday , June , 14 2021
| Language and Accessibility

Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find the information you want in our service pages, you may be able to find it on this main FAQ page.
After looking at the statistics of how users browse our site we have now focused on the most used services as priority, many hundreds of information pages on our site that were accessed rarely or sometimes not at all have now been removed to de-clutter and make our site easier to use.

However we still accept that some information is desirable to help our users better understand aspects of how Carlisle City Council services work, so we provide FAQ lists on most our section landing pages.
All FAQs including any FAQ that does not fit in any of our our site sections are accessible here in the master FAQ page.

Master FAQ ( select a category or search for answers )

Benefits if your are in Hospital

Benefits while you stay in Hospital

If you are going in to or are leaving hospital you should notify the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and the Benefits section at the Civic Centre straight away.

This is important as in most cases your benefit entitlement will have to be reassessed to take into account your new circumstances. Most benefits are reduced during a stay in hospital usually after either 4 or 6 weeks but Housing Benefits and Council Tax Benefits are payable for up to 52 weeks. The localised Council Tax Reduction Scheme which replaces Council Tax Benefit as from 1 April 2013 contains similar provisions.

If you were not claiming any form of benefit prior to entering hospital you may now be entitled to claim.

When you come out of hospital you may also be entitled to other benefits if you have become disabled as a result of your illness.

The Visiting Officer provides a support service to customers who are incapacitated in the comfort of their own home and can assist with the completion of any forms that are needed.

Please contact the Benefits office on 01228 817200 option 3 if you would like someone to visit you at home to help you claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit / Council Tax Reduction Scheme. We will arrange an appointment and write to you to tell you when we will visit you. All our officers carry ID cards.

Related Services

The local Job Centre Plus can offer advice and support on a range benefits you may be entitled to, this includes bereavement benefits, cold weather payments, crisis loans, funeral payments, Employment & Support Allowance (ESA), Income Support and other benefits for people of working age.

Image for search button

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically