Monday , June , 14 2021
| Language and Accessibility

Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find the information you want in our service pages, you may be able to find it on this main FAQ page.
After looking at the statistics of how users browse our site we have now focused on the most used services as priority, many hundreds of information pages on our site that were accessed rarely or sometimes not at all have now been removed to de-clutter and make our site easier to use.

However we still accept that some information is desirable to help our users better understand aspects of how Carlisle City Council services work, so we provide FAQ lists on most our section landing pages.
All FAQs including any FAQ that does not fit in any of our our site sections are accessible here in the master FAQ page.

Master FAQ ( select a category or search for answers )

Do other people living in my home affect my claim?

Do other people living in my home affect my claim?

Someone who lives with the person claiming benefit is called a non-dependant and is usually an adult son, daughter, other relative, friend or other person but not joint tenants, sub tenants or boarders. They are not treated as being responsible to make payments in respect of the property but they are expected to contribute to the household and so a deduction is made from the claimants benefit entitlement.

The non-dependant will be aged 18 or over and they cannot claim Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction Scheme for any payments they may make for their keep.

The amount we deduct depends on the non-dependants gross income. We take all their income into account and arrive at a weekly figure. If they are earning we need to see 5 weekly, 3 fortnightly or 2 monthly payslips or you can get their employer to fill in an earnings certificate (below).

If the claimant or their partner is in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (care) (external link), the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment, an Armed Forces Independance Payments or Attendance Allowance or if you are blind we will not make any non-dependant deductions.

There are certain non-dependants who we do not make a deduction for. No deduction applies for the following non-dependants:

  • Anyone on Income Support or Income-based Jobseekers Allowance however for Housing Benefit there is a deduction if they are aged 25 or more.
  • Anyone under 18.
  • Anyone under 25 years of age who is in receipt of Universal Credit and not working
  • Non-dependants who are full-time students however for Housing Benefit there is a deduction in the summer holidays if they take up work.
  • Anyone receiving a Work Based Training Allowance.
  • Anyone in prison or otherwise detained.
  • Anyone who has been in hospital for more than 52 weeks.
  • Anyone who normally lives elsewhere.
  • Non dependants who fall within any of the groups who are 'disregarded persons' for Council Tax discount purposes, however this applies in main the Council Tax Reduction Scheme only, not Second Adult Rebate / Second Adult Reduction. In Housing Benefit there is a deduction.

Image for search button

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically