Monday , June , 14 2021
| Language and Accessibility

Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find the information you want in our service pages, you may be able to find it on this main FAQ page.
After looking at the statistics of how users browse our site we have now focused on the most used services as priority, many hundreds of information pages on our site that were accessed rarely or sometimes not at all have now been removed to de-clutter and make our site easier to use.

However we still accept that some information is desirable to help our users better understand aspects of how Carlisle City Council services work, so we provide FAQ lists on most our section landing pages.
All FAQs including any FAQ that does not fit in any of our our site sections are accessible here in the master FAQ page.

Master FAQ ( select a category or search for answers )

How we pay benefit / reduction to you

How we pay benefit / reduction to you

Housing Benefit (Private Rented)

Where your claim is based on the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) payment will be made directly to you every two weeks in arrears unless:

  • Your landlord tells us that you owe rent that is more than 8 weeks in arrears
  • Your landlord is receiving money from the Department for Work and Pensions to pay off rent arrears
  • We think it is in your best interest to pay directly to your landlord.

For claims made prior to 7 April 2008 you still have the option to have your benefit paid to either you or your landlord.

  • Benefit is paid to your landlord every 4 weeks in arrears.
  • Benefit is paid to you every 2 weeks in arrears.

Council Tax Reduction Scheme

Council Tax Reduction Scheme awards are credited directly onto your Council Tax account. Once the reduction is credited you will receive a new bill, which shows the amount of reduction you have been awarded and if there is a balance outstanding for you to pay.

Image for search button

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically