Monday , June , 14 2021
| Language and Accessibility

Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find the information you want in our service pages, you may be able to find it on this main FAQ page.
After looking at the statistics of how users browse our site we have now focused on the most used services as priority, many hundreds of information pages on our site that were accessed rarely or sometimes not at all have now been removed to de-clutter and make our site easier to use.

However we still accept that some information is desirable to help our users better understand aspects of how Carlisle City Council services work, so we provide FAQ lists on most our section landing pages.
All FAQs including any FAQ that does not fit in any of our our site sections are accessible here in the master FAQ page.

Master FAQ ( select a category or search for answers )

What does the Local Housing Allowance scheme cover?

A bedroom is also allowed for a non resident carer who stays overnight on a regular basis to look after a person who requires care in their home and is in receipt of either Disability Living Allowance middle or higher rate or Attendance Allowance. A spare bedroom must be available to qualify for the additional rate.

From January 2012 the shared accommodation rate was extended to all single claimants under 35 years old. This means if you are single and under 35 years old and live in 1 bed room (self contained) or larger accommodation, your Housing Benefit will be no higher than the shared accommodation rate.

You should consider asking your landlord to reduce the rent. If you are unsuccessful, you may apply for Discretionary Housing Payments.

There are a limited number of exceptions to the "under 35" rule as follows:

  • You are aged under 22 and have been in care, or
  • You get the severe disability premium in your benefit because you are entitled to the middle or higher rate care component of the Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Need an extra bedroom for a carer who provides you with the overnight care you need but who doesn’t normally live with you, or
  • You have spent at least three months in a homeless hostel or hostel specialising in rehabilitating and resettling within the community (to benefit from this exemption you need to have been offered and accepted support services to enable you to be rehabilitated or resettled in the community,.are managed under active multi-agency management under the Multi Agency Public Protection Arrangements).

Image for search button

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically