Monday , June , 14 2021
| Language and Accessibility

Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find the information you want in our service pages, you may be able to find it on this main FAQ page.
After looking at the statistics of how users browse our site we have now focused on the most used services as priority, many hundreds of information pages on our site that were accessed rarely or sometimes not at all have now been removed to de-clutter and make our site easier to use.

However we still accept that some information is desirable to help our users better understand aspects of how Carlisle City Council services work, so we provide FAQ lists on most our section landing pages.
All FAQs including any FAQ that does not fit in any of our our site sections are accessible here in the master FAQ page.

Master FAQ ( select a category or search for answers )

How do I claim Council Tax Reduction?

You must fill in a claim form to get Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction Scheme. You can use the same form to claim both Housing and Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

If you live with a partner you should make one claim for both of you. If one of you is a student then the non student should fill in the claim form putting the student down as the partner.

You should return the form to us straight away, otherwise you may lose benefit / reduction. You can send any evidence/proof we need later, but you only have a limited time for this, we will tell you how long.

You can claim benefit / reduction by filling in our claim form.

  • This can be printed here
  • You can collect the form from the Contact Centre at the Civic Centre
  • We can post a form to you

Contacting us

You can get help filling in the claim form at the Customer Contact Centre at the Civic Centre, please complete as much of the form as you can before bringing it in.

If you are making a claim for Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance or Employment & Support Allowance (ESA), you can claim Housing Benefit at The Job Centre. You will not be able to claim a Council Tax Reduction and should approach the council direct to make a claim under the Council Tax Reduction Scheme that replaces Council Tax Benefit as from that date. 

You can ask our Visiting Officer to visit you if you are elderly, unwell, disabled or unable to leave the house; or

You can get independent help and advice from various Advice Agencies.

The claim form is quite long as we have to ask a lot of questions. This is to make sure we have the right information to give you the correct benefit and discount entitlement.

Image for search button

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically