Wednesday , June , 16 2021
| Language and Accessibility

Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find the information you want in our service pages, you may be able to find it on this main FAQ page.
After looking at the statistics of how users browse our site we have now focused on the most used services as priority, many hundreds of information pages on our site that were accessed rarely or sometimes not at all have now been removed to de-clutter and make our site easier to use.

However we still accept that some information is desirable to help our users better understand aspects of how Carlisle City Council services work, so we provide FAQ lists on most our section landing pages.
All FAQs including any FAQ that does not fit in any of our our site sections are accessible here in the master FAQ page.

Master FAQ ( select a category or search for answers )

What do I need to do if my circumstances change?

You are required to tell us about anything you think might affect your Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction. You must do this within 1 month of the change taking place. If you fail to do this and your benefit / reduction increases you will lose out. We will recover any overpayment from you and you may lose some benefit.

Here are some of the things you must tell us about

  • If you or anyone in your home, stops getting benefit such as Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance or Jobseekers Allowance
  • You or anyone in your home starts or stops full time, part time or temporary work, or changes jobs. More advice is available on the benefit adviser on GOV.UK  page
  • If you have a pay rise, change your hours or your rate of pay
  • If you have an increase in a state or private pension
  • If you or your partner give birth
  • Changes to your Child Benefit or Tax Credits
  • If you gain or lose a partner for example marry, enter into a Civil Partnership, live together as a couple or separate
  • Changes to your rent
  • Changes in your address, even temporary changes (see our moving house page for more information)
  • People moving in or out of your home, such as a partner, children, relatives or other adults
  • Income going up or down. This includes your income, your partner's income or the income of anyone else living with you
  • If your savings or your family's savings goes up or down
  • If you are going away temporarily. We need to know how long you expect to be away for and why you have gone away. This includes going on holiday, staying with a friend or relative to care for them or going into hospital. (More information on being admitted to hospital)

This is not a full list. If you are not sure, ask us for advice. You must tell us about any changes in writing. Any change reported over the phone must then be confirmed to us in writing.

You can also inform us of any changes via email [email protected]

If there is a change of circumstances you will be required to provide original proof of evidence before your benefit will be increased or paid for your new address but do not delay telling us. We will tell you how long you have to provide the evidence we need.

You must complete a Change of Circumstances form for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction Scheme every time you move home, even if this is between flats or rooms within the same building.

Housing Benefit is normally only payable for your current home and stops when you move. There are a limited number of short-term exceptions to this. Please contact the Benefits Section at the Civic Centre without delay for further advice.

Council Tax Reduction Scheme is only payable for your current home and will stop when you move.

Image for search button

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically