Monday , June , 14 2021
| Language and Accessibility

Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find the information you want in our service pages, you may be able to find it on this main FAQ page.
After looking at the statistics of how users browse our site we have now focused on the most used services as priority, many hundreds of information pages on our site that were accessed rarely or sometimes not at all have now been removed to de-clutter and make our site easier to use.

However we still accept that some information is desirable to help our users better understand aspects of how Carlisle City Council services work, so we provide FAQ lists on most our section landing pages.
All FAQs including any FAQ that does not fit in any of our our site sections are accessible here in the master FAQ page.

Master FAQ ( select a category or search for answers )



The Council Tax Reduction Scheme (CTRS) is not a benefit. CTRS is a reduction made to a council tax account via a discount. Because of this the appeals process differs slightly to that which was in place for Council Tax Benefit.

If a customer or a person acting on their behalf disagrees with a decision that we have made regarding CTRS, they will need to write to us and explain why they think the decision is wrong. This should be done as quickly as possible after we have made our decision. We will look at our decision again and we may amend it in their favour. Once we have considered an appeal the applicant will be notified of the decision in writing together with the reasons for the decision. However, if we do not agree with an appeal, and they wish to proceed further, they may at this stage write directly to:

Valuation Tribunal,

Hepworth House
2 Trafford Court
Telephone: 0300 123 2035
Facsimile: 01302 321447
Email: [email protected]

Alternatively an appeals form (external link) may be completed online or downloaded and sent to the above address.

The following specific matters cannot be the subject of an appeal under these provisions:

  • the local CTRS provisions as set by the council
  • any discretion applied to recover an overpayment of CTRS 
  • who to recover an overpayment of CTRS from
  • suspending or restoring CTRS
  • any decision to refuse to grant a reduction under section 13A(1)(b) Local Government Finance Act 1992

A customer may also at any time in writing request the council to review their entitlement to CTRS or the amount of any reduction to CTRS outside of the provisions for appeals detailed above.

Image for search button

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically