Wednesday , June , 16 2021
| Language and Accessibility

Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find the information you want in our service pages, you may be able to find it on this main FAQ page.
After looking at the statistics of how users browse our site we have now focused on the most used services as priority, many hundreds of information pages on our site that were accessed rarely or sometimes not at all have now been removed to de-clutter and make our site easier to use.

However we still accept that some information is desirable to help our users better understand aspects of how Carlisle City Council services work, so we provide FAQ lists on most our section landing pages.
All FAQs including any FAQ that does not fit in any of our our site sections are accessible here in the master FAQ page.

Master FAQ ( select a category or search for answers )

What are Business Rates

Business Rates, also known as Non Domestic Rates, collected by local authorities are the way that those who occupy non-domestic property contribute towards the cost of local services.

Under the Business Rates Retention arrangements introduced from 1 April 2013, Carlisle City Council now keeps a proportion of the business rates paid locally. This money, together with revenue from Council Tax payers, government grants and certain other monies is used to pay for the services provided by Carlisle City Council.

The council does not have any control over the amount of rates that is charged for a property. The charge is based on the rateable value given to the property. The Government's Valuation Office Agency sets the rateable values for all non domestic properties in the country. The Government sets the rate in the pound (also called the multiplier) each year for the whole country.

Image for search button

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically