Monday , June , 14 2021
| Language and Accessibility

Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find the information you want in our service pages, you may be able to find it on this main FAQ page.
After looking at the statistics of how users browse our site we have now focused on the most used services as priority, many hundreds of information pages on our site that were accessed rarely or sometimes not at all have now been removed to de-clutter and make our site easier to use.

However we still accept that some information is desirable to help our users better understand aspects of how Carlisle City Council services work, so we provide FAQ lists on most our section landing pages.
All FAQs including any FAQ that does not fit in any of our our site sections are accessible here in the master FAQ page.

Master FAQ ( select a category or search for answers )

Application Evaluation Process?


Applications must be sent to the licensing authority for the area where the premises are located. In the case of Carlisle it is: Licensing Section, Governance Directorate, Carlisle City Council, Civic Centre, Carlisle CA3 8QG

Applications must be in a specific format and be accompanied by any required fee (exemption of fees may apply for applications in respect of regulated entertainment only for schools, colleges, churches, community halls or similar buildings).

An operating schedule, a plan of the premises and a form of consent from the premises supervisor (for applications where the sale of alcohol will be a licensable activity).

Applicants will be required to advertise their application and to give notice of the application to the Responsible Authorities, e.g. Chief Officer of Police and Fire and Rescue Service.

A hearing must be held if any representations are made in respect of the application. If a hearing is held the licence can be granted or granted subject to additional conditions, licensable activities listed in the application can be excluded or the application can be rejected.

Carlisle City Council will serve a notice of its decision on the applicant, any person who has made relevant representations (ie representations that were not deemed frivolous or vexatious) and the chief of police.

Applications can also be made to vary or transfer a licence. A hearing may have to be heard if representations are made or conditions relating to a transfer are not met.

Other applications that can be made are applications for an interim authority notice following the death, incapacity or insolvency of a licence holder or review applications.

Image for search button

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically