Wednesday , June , 16 2021
| Language and Accessibility

Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find the information you want in our service pages, you may be able to find it on this main FAQ page.
After looking at the statistics of how users browse our site we have now focused on the most used services as priority, many hundreds of information pages on our site that were accessed rarely or sometimes not at all have now been removed to de-clutter and make our site easier to use.

However we still accept that some information is desirable to help our users better understand aspects of how Carlisle City Council services work, so we provide FAQ lists on most our section landing pages.
All FAQs including any FAQ that does not fit in any of our our site sections are accessible here in the master FAQ page.

Master FAQ ( select a category or search for answers )

Dangerous structures and demolition

Carlisle City Council operates a 24 hour service to deal with dangerous structures.

A dangerous structure is one where a building or other structure, or part thereof, is in danger of imminent collapse.

If you think a structure might be dangerous, please ring one of the following numbers:

Daytime: 01228 817184

Out of office hours: (Emergencies Only) 999.

Only use 999 if there is:

  • serious risk of injury;
  • risk of serious damage to property.

Derelict properties safety

If a derelict building is required to be secured against unauthorised access please contact Environmental Health on 01228 817200.


Anyone who wishes to demolish a structure should make an application under section 80 of the Building Act 1984 to the Building Control department. The Act requires the person to notify the Building Control department of their intentions six weeks prior to starting the work. Section 81 and 82 of the Act requires Building Control to respond with a schedule of requirements on how the work is to be undertaken. This is to prevent any danger to the public during the demolition.

You are advised to seek professional help from a surveyor or demolition contractor in order to carry out an assessment of the structure to be demolished and ensure that the methodology for it demolition is safe.


Image for search button

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically