Sunday , June , 13 2021
| Language and Accessibility

Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find the information you want in our service pages, you may be able to find it on this main FAQ page.
After looking at the statistics of how users browse our site we have now focused on the most used services as priority, many hundreds of information pages on our site that were accessed rarely or sometimes not at all have now been removed to de-clutter and make our site easier to use.

However we still accept that some information is desirable to help our users better understand aspects of how Carlisle City Council services work, so we provide FAQ lists on most our section landing pages.
All FAQs including any FAQ that does not fit in any of our our site sections are accessible here in the master FAQ page.

Master FAQ ( select a category or search for answers )

Bulky Household Waste Collection

Bulky Household Waste Collection

Coronavirus update - important information: 

Bulky household waste collection services have now resumed, with some alterations - please see below. 

  • To protect the public and council collection crews, if anyone in your household have (or have recently had) any symptoms of coronavirus or if your household is self-isolating, we will be unable to collect items at this time. 
  • Please spray or wipe down items with disinfectant or antibacterial spray.
  • Some local charities are not operating a collection service at the present time.   
  • The Household Waste and Recycling Centres (operated by Cumbria County Council) are now open, with some restrictions, including the requirement for a pre-booking from 7 July.  Please visit their website for more information

There are three ways to dispose of bulky household waste such as cookers, carpets and furniture. 

Please note that we do not accept collections from commercial premises.

Furniture reuse charities - please check as some are closed.

Charities will usually collect clean, reusable unwanted furniture and electrical goods free of charge. Some charities then sell these items on at low cost, helping you and the environment.  Use the link above to find one near you.

Household Waste Recycling Centres - now open but with restrictions.  From 7 July, you will be required to pre-book a slot to access the HWRC.  For more information visit (external link) or call 0300 003 1118. 

You can dispose and recycle a range of bulky household waste items free of charge at Cumbria County Council’s sites:

  • Rome Street, Carlisle (open 8am to 6pm daily).
  • Townfoot Industrial Estate, Brampton (open 10am to 6pm Wednesday to Monday inclusive)

A permit scheme (currently suspended) (external link) applies at both of these sites for the following vehicles: vans, pickups, flatbeds or a twin axle trailer (up to 3m long).  To obtain a permit, please contact the County Council permit helpline on 0845 055 1118 or apply online (external link)

Carlisle City Council - Bulky Waste collections

If you have any household bulky waste items that are of no use to anyone else, you can arrange a bulky waste collection through Carlisle City Council. Coronavirus update: Please refer to the advice above.

To arrange a collection, please use the online special collection form (our preferred contact method) or telephone 01228 817200. We will collect up to 3 household items for a fixed price of £24. This only includes items such as furniture, kitchen appliances and TVs. Please view the attached list of what items we can and cannot take

All collections take place on Tuesdays or Fridays depending on your location.  All items must be presented at the kerbside by 7am on the agreed collection date. Please note that we cannot enter properties.

If your bulky items may be of use to someone else, charities such as Impact Furniture Services or the Salvation Army may be interested in these.


Image for search button

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically