Sunday , June , 13 2021
| Language and Accessibility

Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find the information you want in our service pages, you may be able to find it on this main FAQ page.
After looking at the statistics of how users browse our site we have now focused on the most used services as priority, many hundreds of information pages on our site that were accessed rarely or sometimes not at all have now been removed to de-clutter and make our site easier to use.

However we still accept that some information is desirable to help our users better understand aspects of how Carlisle City Council services work, so we provide FAQ lists on most our section landing pages.
All FAQs including any FAQ that does not fit in any of our our site sections are accessible here in the master FAQ page.

Master FAQ ( select a category or search for answers )

GDPR Who is responsible for my information? How will this be used? How long will this be kept for? Where can I find out more information?

Who is responsible for your information?

Carlisle City Council is the data controller for the personal information we will collect from you and under the General Data Protection Regulation, this fair processing notice is designed to provide you with all the information with which you have a right to be provided.

Purposes of processing your personal data

We need the personal information of Homelessness applicants and their family members in order to assess, process and help the applicant access support in relation to:

  • eligibility and making an application under the homelessness legislation
  • determining housing needs
  • provide suitable emergency temporary accommodation
  • prevent or relieve homelessness

Categories of personal data and lawful basis

In order to provide this service, we may need to process some or all of the following categories of personal information:

  • contact details
  • financial, tax and/or benefit details
  • criminal convictions
  • proof of identity (passport, driving licence etc.)
  • support and welfare needs

Under data protection legislation, processing of this data is allowed due to official authority vested in the Council contained within the Housing Act 1996 as amended by the Homelessness Act 2002, Localism Act 2011, and Homeless Reduction Act 2017

Categories of sensitive personal data and lawful basis

In order to provide this service, we may need to process some or all of the following categories of sensitive personal information:

  • health information
  • ethnicity
  • religion
  • gender identity
  • safeguarding information

Under data protection legislation, processing of this data is allowed under Article  9(2)(b): processing is necessary for the purposes of carrying out the obligations and exercising specific rights of the controller or of the data subject in the field of employment and social security and social protection law in so far as it is authorised by Union or Member State law or a collective agreement pursuant to Member State law providing for appropriate safeguards for the fundamental rights and the interests of the data subject.

Who we may share your personal data with

We may share applicant information with other support agencies in order to best assess the needs of some applicants.  We may also receive information from these parties about your application. These third parties may include other teams within the council as well as external organisations, including:

  • Social Services
  • Health Services
  • Police
  • Housing Associations and other Housing providers (including private rented sector landlords)
  • National Probation Services
  • Information may also be shared with other teams within the council for statutory enforcement purposes
  • Department for Work and Pensions
  • Advocacy Services (such as the Law Centre and People First)

We will share information with the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG), who collect data to research the causes of homelessness and effectiveness of prevention. If you want more information you can ask a member of staff using contact details below. You can also contact MHCLG’s Knowledge and Information Team about seeing your data or withdrawing from the research by emailing MHCLG’s Data Protection Officer at [email protected]  

How long we will keep your personal information.

Your personal information and the information held in relation to your homeless application will be kept for:

  • Hard copy - 3 years after last action;
  • Electronic records - permanently;

in accordance with the retention schedule, at which point it will be destroyed.

Your rights are:

  • To be informed
  • To have access to your personal information
  • To have inaccurate personal information rectified
  • To have personal information erased
  • To restrict processing of your personal information
  • To obtain and reuse your personal information for your own purposes
  • To object to the processing of personal information
  • To not be subject to decisions based solely on automated means, including profiling

Further information

Right to Lodge a complaint with the UK Information Commissioner’s office (ICO)

Should you be unhappy with the way Carlisle City Council has handled your personal information, we encourage you to let us know so that we can look into this for you and provide a response.

Carlisle City Council’s Information Governance Manager can be contacted at:

Address        Civic Centre, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3 8QG

E-mail           [email protected]

Telephone     01228 817200

Should you then wish to lodge a complaint with ICO you can contact them at:

Address        Information Commissioners Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Winslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF

E-mail           [email protected]

Telephone     0303 123 1113



Image for search button

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically